Replacing my old door entry phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My door entry phone system has recently broken stopped working. It has a handset and a single button to allow entry to the front door.

I was hoping replacing it would be simple but the wiring looks complex and I am not sure if I need to replace it with a particular type of phone.

I have attached an image of the wiring of the current phone that needs replacing.

I guess I have 2 questions.

1. Do I need to get a specific type of replacement
2. Will the wire colours allow me to easily wire up the replacement?

Thanks all

20170424_132321.jpg

Sponsored Links
I fitted This wireless Door entry Intercom Doorbell System which it would seem does same as original, it was reported to be able to work with a standard wireless phone (DECT), however when I tried to pair with one it did not fully work, it paired but the phone did not ring. The outside bit is large, and to work with release it needs a 12 volt DC supply, there is also a delay between pressing button and remote ringing, but it does work, there are four wires going to the outdoor bit, two with 12 volt DC to power it and two with 12 volt DC to the release which I don't use.

The Fermax it seems is about the same price as the one I have, but hard wired and has the option of multi-units for flats and the like. It seems you can get spares and manuals so you may be able to repair it.

1. Do I need to get a specific type of replacement

Yes, you need the replacement to be compatible with the rest of your system; they are not all the same.

2. Will the wire colours allow me to easily wire up the replacement?

Now that you have a photo showing which colour goes to which terminal in the existing phone, it should be possible to work out what to connect where on the new one.

Congratulations on asking first, by the way. If you search the forum you'll find that it's more common for people to buy their replacement phone, without considering compatibility, and only then ask how to connect it.

Also do consider whether the existing phone can be fixed.

Sponsored Links
It's not always the handset that goes, it can also be the speech unit inside the intercom, and they're quite easy to replace. But as you only have one handset, it's going to be difficult doing a cross check.

Just in case you can't get another Fermax handset, here's a diagram showing the connections to the intercom as well.

Congratulations on asking first, by the way. If you search the forum you'll find that it's more common for people to buy their replacement phone, without considering compatibility, and only then ask how to connect it.

Or even waiting till they have the new part in one hand, a screwdriver in the other and the wires hanging out in front of them.

HI,

I have been told to replace my phone with the Fermax 3399 Universal handset

I have found a photo of the internal setup of the new phone.

Looking at my current setup (I included a picture in my initial post) I have 6 wires in connectors numbered 1,2,3,4,5,6

I am assuming I put the wires in the same numbered connector.

I do notice there is no number 5. Where would this brown wire go and is my assumption correct?

Fermax 3399.png

I am assuming I put the wires in the same numbered connector.

Probably, but check the descriptions of each terminal on that intercomsrus page and see if the descriptions agree.

I do notice there is no number 5. Where would this brown wire go and is my assumption correct?

Good question. I note that terminal 5 is not described at all on the intercomsrus page for the old handset. Maybe it's not needed?

Try with it unconnected and see what happens.

*** The picture you've posted is of the 8091, not the 3399.

HI,

Apologies you are correct I did find the wrong picture

The 3399 also only has 1,2,3,4,6.

I guess I will try and hope it works.

Thanks

Just an update. I replaced my phone with a Fermax 3399 based on the recommendation from the link below based on my original phone model.

http://www.intercomsrus.com/intercom_handset_finder_tool.htm

I matched the wiring numbers on my original phone to the wiring numbers on the new phone.

There were 2 switched and by trying a few combinations I was able to get everything working.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice.

Hi Maverick Monkey,
quick question from an old thread. I am in the same situation as you were a few years ago; replacing my Fermax 0208 that doesn't work anymore. I gather that your Fermax 3399 works but can't find out what you did with the No5 cable. You mentioned you had a No5 cable but the 3399 doesn't have space for it. Did you just leave it disconnected? Also, do you know which two cables were switched?
Thanks
Andy

It doesn’t require it as it’s a 4 plus 1 system .....4 common plus 1 call wire

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back