Re-wiring a home entry phone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to replace and re-wire the entry phone to my flat.

The new model is a Bell 801 door entry telephone.

Having opened it up, unfortunately, I'm not sure which wires go to which connectors.

The bell phone is marked 'I', 'R', 'O', 'T', and 'Z'.
image1-2.JPG

The old model is below.

It has:

- a white and green wire;
- a white wire;
- a blue wire;
- a grey wire; and
- a red wire.

IMG_3651.JPG

Any assistance would be very welcome!

Sponsored Links
Thanks a lot rsgaz and Chivers.

Yeah - my issue is that I don't know what my old model is so it's difficult to find which wire should go where!

Below are photos of it though:

Sponsored Links
It looks like a BITRON AN 0002 from that link I posted.

Gaz :)

The new model is a Bell 801
How do you know that is compatible with the existing system?

If there are no markings on the old one, what is the make/model of the main panel?

Wire colours on their own mean nothing. It depends on what the installers used at the time.

On the page that rsgaz linked to, if you scroll just a short distance below the Bell you'll find something very similar to your old one called "BITRON AN 0002". It seems to hve 6 terminals rather than 5, though. You could probably work out what is connected where; unscrew the circuit board and you'll be able to see where the terminals go.

Not all intercoms are interchangeable.

To be honest - I have no idea whether it's interchangeable or not. I just figured these things would be standardised.

Messing around with the circuit board when I don't know whether I have a replacement seems like a bad plan.

How much do you reckon an electrician in London would charge to fit this thing?

Looking at the wiring diagrams on that site, it would seem that terminal 11 (Call [AC Buzzer] ) is not used.

Looking at the picture of the Bitron handset on that site, it would seem the terminals are, from L to R:

C7, 11, 1, 2, 9, 6.

Looking at the data sheet for the Bitron handset on that site, it would seem these terminals are, from L to R:

Call (electronic), Call (AC buzzer), Speech In (Speaker), Speech Out (Mic), Lock options, Common.

Looking at the picture of the Bell handset on that site, it would seem the terminals are, from L to R:

I, R, O, T, Z.

Looking at the data sheet for the Bell handset on that site, it would seem these terminals are, from L to R:

Call, Speech Out (Mic), Common, Speech In (Speaker), Lock.

You can see the terminal numbers on your old handset.

If there are no markings on your existing phone, then undo the intercom by the door, and see if there are markings in there that correspond to the phone connections. If you go back to Chivers link, and the connections are the same on the speech unit, then you'll have the wiring colours you need to connect the intercom up.

The markings are in the plastic stip below the terminal block...

There are more markings than terminals.

It would be easy to work out what goes where by looking at the other side of the circuit biard, but now he's decided to get someone to do it for him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back