EPC on rental property

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Epc check was done on my rental property just before i bought it by the seller.
It was ranked D but is quite an old property.

This EPC has since expired but I think I'm correct in saying I only need to get it done again when I get new tenants or sell it?
Is that correct?

It's double glazed throughout with all upstairs windows replaced a few years back. Has loft insulation too and boarded in top.

Boiler is very old but functioning correctly and passes check with service every year.

Just putting this out to see if there's anything else I need to consider as a landlord with matters relating to this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need one done ASAP. Expect the D mark to be downgraded to an E at best. You have to get to a mark of C by April 2025 for new lets, or for continuing (periodic) tendencies by April 2028.

Recommend you join the National Residential Landlords Association - the fee is tax deductible.

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Thanks all,
Roughly for much does an epc cost for a 3 bedroom mid terrace house?
Also, how do you go about finding someone to do it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all,
Roughly for much does an epc cost for a 3 bedroom mid terrace house?
Also, how do you go about finding someone to do it?
Not expensive - under a hundred quid.
Not hard to find an EPC surveyor, but my tip would be to ask a local solar installer for a recommendation...

• Thanks
If the councils think they have a problem with home less just wait untill all this nonsence kicks in and a lot of landlords me included will switch to air b&b

If the councils think they have a problem with home less just wait untill all this nonsence kicks in and a lot of landlords me included will switch to air b&b
Looks like we have till 2028 for existing tenants.

It's the government's pathetic attempt to try and improve the energy efficiency of a fraction of the country's housing stock.

And dump the responsibility on local councils.

• Thanks
Your understanding is correct. Typically, in the UK, you are required to renew the Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when you get new tenants or decide to sell the property. Since your EPC has expired, you should consider getting a new one when your next set of tenants moves in or when you decide to sell the property. It's good to hear that your property has some energy-efficient features like double glazing and loft insulation, which can positively impact the EPC rating.If you have any further questions or need more information related to being a landlord and property matters, you can visit https://axonproperties.ca/ for additional resources and guidance.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Its all bol*&%$ my mate has a rental and the last epc said to get from c to b he needs to have a new boiler, had one fitted changed from cold tank and hot water cylinder to a condensing combi not for the the epc as they already had a C but needed a new one anyway, also new UPVC windows to current standards. Then the latest epc came back with a LOWER score than last time - still a C but now to get a B needs to have solar panels fitted at £7- £12,000 which is estimated to save the tenants "£100 per year energy.
They just move the goalposts. There is no way 1,000s of properties will make the grade and the GOV will back down like they did with the vax and the nurses.
For the check they never even looked in the attic and just assumed the insulation was to standard.

I think changes will come to the Airbnb market next.

I have a property that makes twice as much on Airbnb and would be extremely expensive to bring up to standard as a rental.

I could also claim council tax exemption but think it’s right to contribute

• Thanks
£7- £12,000 which is estimated to save the tenants "£100 per year energy.
Do they live at the bottom of a coal mine shaft and only see the sun once a year?

My panels saved over a grand and a half last year, not including export. I haven't crunched the numbers in detail. Admittedly mine did cost £12k for panels and battery and we're high users.

• Thanks
Sponsored Links
Back