epdm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys ive been doing a few flat roofs lately and had forgotten how awful they really are was thinking of starting to go down the epdm route could anyone reccomend any courses or advice on the matter thinking i might burn my hands a bit less with epdm :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Best thing we done switching to epdm.

Theres quite a few training courses, but if you want to give the 20yr gurantee go with a Firestone course.
We done our training in High Wycombe, with a well established company, not only do they sell all the materials they have quite a few teams of fitters, and will show you the easy ways, especialy detail work.
Next day delivery, everything packed securely and keen prices.

Beware of a few companies selling materials, the glues are not Firestone adhesives, plus some are aimed at diy users.

I don't think that you need to go on training courses, as there are plenty videos on Youtube or from the suppliers, and it really is very simple. The only real problems are internal and external corner upstands, which you just need to practice.

Having said that, I understand that if you are doing this work under a building regs application, then you need to be "approved" installers for the work to be acceptable .. which means having gone on a Firestone course or whatever and having a certificate

I don't think that you need to go on training courses, as there are plenty videos on Youtube or from the suppliers, and it really is very simple. The only real problems are internal and external corner upstands, which you just need to practice.

Having said that, I understand that if you are doing this work under a building regs application, then you need to be "approved" installers for the work to be acceptable .. which means having gone on a Firestone course or whatever and having a certificate

There might be a bit of truth there, but I havent seen any videos etc showing the correct or easy way of detail work, around pipes, roof windows etc, for instance an internal corner is easy to do, but there are a few ways of doing it, plus the tidy way of doing them.
In general a detatched single garage roof is a piece of p**s to do but, since nearly all the builders merchants are stocking the rubber, every odd job man thinks its easy.
I was contacted this week, as a so called roofer installed a rubber roof but couldnt get the creases or bubbles out, he cut the bubbles out next day and patched them, totally pointless.
If the dimwit had went on a recognised training course, he would have been showed exactly how to firstly get rid of any creases prior to even glueing the rubber down, same as avoiding bubbles.
Yes it is easy, but you will see the difference of a roof fitted by someone who has been on a training course, and someone who hasnt.
Incidentialy, the detail works are the more satifying parts of the job.

Sponsored Links
thanks guys was thinking of getting a small amount and doing a makeshift roof in the yard have a go and see sort of thing

There might be a bit of truth there, but I havent seen any videos etc showing the correct or easy way of detail work, around pipes, roof windows etc, for instance an internal corner is easy to do, but there are a few ways of doing it, plus the tidy way of doing them.
In general a detatched single garage roof is a piece of p**s to do but, since nearly all the builders merchants are stocking the rubber, every odd job man thinks its easy.
I was contacted this week, as a so called roofer installed a rubber roof but couldnt get the creases or bubbles out, he cut the bubbles out next day and patched them, totally pointless.
If the dimwit had went on a recognised training course, he would have been showed exactly how to firstly get rid of any creases prior to even glueing the rubber down, same as avoiding bubbles.
Yes it is easy, but you will see the difference of a roof fitted by someone who has been on a training course, and someone who hasnt.

He was probably trained by Avenir. :rolleyes:

The bubbles are purely down to using too much adhesive, normally the contact adhesive. People like to think the more you use the better it will adhere. Thin, even coats...

So he cut them out and formflashed over the top? Wtf is the point in that lol.

So he cut them out and formflashed over the top? Wtf is the point in that lol.

I assume thats what he done, Id bet it looks a right mess as well, if he even knows how to use the form flash.
Its a good roofing system, but you dont want chancers like him giving it a bad name, hes bound to blame it on the materials and not his incompetance.

Yea its a real shame, and i disagree with Woody, if anyone can go on to YouTube and watch a video and go "I know how to do that now" then we would all be super talented...

Training courses can be done in various places depending where you are in the UK. Permaroof have 2 depots that do the training, both of which are very good. I know there are more places out there too, and its normally about £100, nothing compared to the income that can be made doing EPDM, i would strongly advise doing it.

Yea its a real shame, and i disagree with Woody, if anyone can go on to YouTube and watch a video and go "I know how to do that now" then we would all be super talented...

Obviously, if we are talking about repairing rocket engines, then YouTube may not be the best place to learn

But we are talking about EPDM, and if the OP knows the principles of flat roofing, then just learning how to fix EPDM is going to be easy. Its easy to fit anyway, so will be easier still for an experienced roofer.

It really is simple. And IMO he just needs to practice on the upstands and detail work which are a bit fiddly

Anyone can go on a course and still be crap at the detail work. Its practice and experience that is required

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back