EPDM or Alwitra - any thoughts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a flat roof extension (orangery) put in and was thinking between Alwitra (fitted at £50 per m2) or DIY with 2.5mm self adhesive EPDM. If I go the DIY route I will save approx half the cost (£700). Has any one an opinion on what is the best product.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Depends how long before you want it to leak? Alwitra is a decent membrane. Get it done properly, saves a fortune on redec costs.

Why shouldn't EPDM last as long as an EVA product such as Alwitra? Both are touted as having similar life expectancies

I am not sure why you think one should leak before the other, but even so, the massive price difference of Alwitra would not necessary mean a saving on any possible redec costs

Sponsored Links
Id say EPDM, but only because that is the system we fit, apart from torch on.
However, whichever system you use needs to be installed correctly, if you have any detail work, ie around pipes or roof windows, I wouldnt recommend doing it yourself.
Most roof coverings installed correctly, including felt will last many years.

Why shouldn't EPDM last as long as an EVA product such as Alwitra? Both are touted as having similar life expectancies

I am not sure why you think one should leak before the other, but even so, the massive price difference of Alwitra would not necessary mean a saving on any possible redec costs

Because one is going to be professionally fitted, and one is going to be DIY'd. For the sake of £700 on a newly built extension, no brainer? And EPDM is not a patch on Alwitra .

I'll get it right -have you had bad vibes with epdm xenon?

We've stripped a few thousand m2 up over the years. The material lasts for a while. The bonding agents don't.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I think xenon is right. I'm not a bad DIYer, but like you say, for the sake of £700 - warranty and no hassle - what the hell its only money!!

EPDM material does not suddenly disintegrate or fail just because it is fitted DIY.

The difference between DIY and Pro fitting, comes down to a certificate from a days training course.

Alwitra life expectancy 30 years.
Epdm life expectancy minimun 50 years.

Epdm comes in one piece to fit, Alwitra comes in 2.05 wide rolls, heat seamed on site.

The choice is yours.

Cotswold-I was looking at the self adhesive epdm 1.0m wide as it will be going around the edge of a glass 'porthole' roof and upstands. Any thoughts?

Hi Richie, Ive never used the self adhesive epdm, so I couldnt advise, I think you might have to heat seal the joins, as you would do with Alwitra.
We would buy a sheet to fit, cut around all upstands and form flash.

Thanks for your advice Cotswold. I am temped as I do like a challenge - not to mention the savings! Decisions decisions!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back