epdrm flat roof 'pigs ear'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a builder put up an outbuilding to the back of my house, and he said he could install an epdrm rubber roof. When i've had a look at his handy work, he's left the rubber flapping about over the drip trim into the gutter at the back. He's now saying that he can put a trim over it to cover how it looks, but the roof should be fine.

After some f-ing and blinding, he admitted to not doing the install course and cutting the rubber too short. Thing is when the roof is finished properly it looks magic.

What do you guys recommend I do?

Sponsored Links
First thing you might do is put some pics of the job on here.

Here you go guys....feast your eyes. Thanks for all feedback...

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    214.4 KB · Views: 252
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    162.2 KB · Views: 227
Sponsored Links
The membrane squeezes in between the two gutter trims. Pull the 2 part gutter drip out of the back part and then hammer it on over the rubber. Is that a join right next to the edge?

So, We had a experienced roofer have a look last night.

Long story, short:

• Boards not secured under the rubber and they are flapping about
  • The back close to the edge (see pics) suggests an initial miss measure, should all be one piece.
  • The back is totally wrong and the rubber is too short to fit under the drip trim, so need new rubber
  • Not glued properly throughout
  • The roof WILL leak under the front upstand where the rubber is short and not glued (see pic)
  • The back overhang is short and needs reboarding
  • Potentially used thinner grade osb
Anyone had any experience with cowboy builders, and know what line to take. It's going to cost us 1k to fix his mess, and obviously i'm ready to start my online campaign to end this guy. But need to go down the most successful route in terms of getting a refund for the roof.

Before you launch into trying to get revenge, try and sort it out. Speak with him about the issues and tell him you'd like him to put it right. Give this to him in writing. If you send it do it by signed for delivery. Request reply in 7 days.

By doing this you might get it done again properly at no cost to you. If he doesn't respond or refuses to do it or bodges it up again, you have started paving your way to the small claims court by informing him of the problems and giving him opportunity to correct mistakes.

I had never fitted an EPDM roof before but did one on my purpose built shed last week! Instructions came with it & plenty of you tube videos.
Its not difficult and if a builder cant get something so simple right id be worried about the rest of his work!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back