Epoxy fixings

Discussion in 'Building' started by footprints, 2 Oct 2016.

1. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have a problem with bricks that are very brittle (I think they are West Hoathly bricks) I am trying to get a fix for a motorised awning, the standard supplied fixing is a 14 x 75 mm wallplug.

I tried one getting it as central as possible in the brick, the plug fitted the drilled hole perfectly, but as soon as the screw fixing was started you could hear cracking from the brick.

Obviously an expanding bolt is out of the question that would only cause more damage.

I think my only option is a chemical fixing, I have never used them before so want to buy the most reliable ones I can find.
    Any recommendations please?

2. Sponsored Links
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for the quick reply newboy I'll have a look at the site you linked to. Traditional Fischer products I have used in the past have worked well.(y)

4. Dopeydaz

Dopeydaz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've just used rawl plug stuff. It's really good. I used a 14mm hole about 2/3rds the depth of the brick for a bit of 12mm threaded rod. Cleaned all the dust out of the hole by blowing into it with my compressor(a bit of tube and blowing with your mouth would work too. But shut your eyes!) filled the hole about 3/4 full of resin. Put the threaded rod in, twist it, pull it out and wiggle it a few times to make sure the resin is covering the rod. Leave it to set and use a washer and Nut on it!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Nozzle

Nozzle

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's really important to clean the dust out - with compressed air if you have it or buy one of the hand pumps with a hose on it. Really good stuff though, once you've started you can find all sorts of uses for it. Buy some spare nozzle too, they're scrap once used. If you clean the "mix" out the end of the tube where the two bags meet, it'll last on the shelf too.

Nozzle

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the advice guys and glad to hear you found them reliable, now just need to figure out which pack I need, they both seem to make so many that look the same! I will give the helpline on the two recommended ones a bell and pick their brains;) As a rough guide how many holes do you get from a standard tube? I will be drilling 14mm hoes 100mm deep and using 12mm rods.
    Thanks again, footprints.

7. Dopeydaz

Dopeydaz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I used 6 tubes for 135 holes that size.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Ah thanks, so about 20 or so holes to a tube, hopefully I should get my 12 out of one tube without any trouble.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dopeydaz

Dopeydaz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Sorry that's not quite true. I was drilling into 100mm wide bricks so holes were 75 mm deep. Is it solid bricks? Or the bricks with holes in them? If you break through into the cavity or if the bricks have holes you will need mesh cages. Will get you a link later

11. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks they are solid bricks, I did not break through to the cavity the bricks measure 11cm thick.:)

12. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Couldn't get through to Fischer, but very helpful chap at Rawplug put me on the right track suggested R-KEM II, but warned me to work fast as it goes off really quick!
    Thank you all for your help, will have to get "stuck in" next week!:)

13. Dopeydaz

Dopeydaz

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Glad you're sorted, I spoke to rawlplug and the guy was great.

What motorised aw big did you go for? Been thinking about one to cover the deckingbin our lovely Scottish summers

14. footprints

footprints

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  15. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local