Fix to this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to drill and bolt a fence post to the birdsmouthed section of this wall (purple dots) - worth bothering or will any fixing just split the brick as it expands? Better to sister it up next to another one fixed to the solid section instead? Ta

Attachments

• 739F7020-51FB-493D-84C2-F304A5252658.jpeg
    739F7020-51FB-493D-84C2-F304A5252658.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
I want to drill and bolt a fence post to the birdsmouthed section of this wall (purple dots) - worth bothering or will any fixing just split the brick as it expands? Better to sister it up next to another one fixed to the solid section instead? Ta
Use concrete screws or Thunderbolts.

Cheers. I had images of them splitting the brick as they tightened, but if not, happy days.

Sponsored Links
Cheers. I had images of them splitting the brick as they tightened, but if not, happy days.
Conc' screws don't expand, no. They also don't pull the work-piece in, so make sure the post is tight back to the wall.

I've not used T'bolts but I'm sure they work on the same (non-expanding) principle.

Oof rather you than me ....
A decent impact driver will do the job. The fact that its a modest (6mm) hole means there is less risk of splitting when drilling. I'd be sure to go into the meat and not anywhere near the frog. Easily identifiable by the open joint.

They also don't pull the work-piece in
They do if you drill the hole in the post out to 9mm or so. Can always put a washer on if the hole ends up too larger and the head sinks too easily. If you have a grinder you can alternatively strip the thread off the bolt, but that does also take the zinc with it
Might also want to utilise some patience and a gentle hammer drill eg a cordless rather than an SDS hammer

They do if you drill the hole in the post out to 9mm or so.
We tend to buy the longer 6mm bits and bang the bit through the workpiece into the masonry. I suppose if you make the workpiece hole baggy enough so the thread won't grip, that would work.
I'm not a massive fan of conc' screws but they have their uses. Especially when fitting placcy windows.

Thanks. For this, I’m using the 10mm fellas, so the bolt equivalent of the smaller 6mm screws. Will go very steady on the drill and cross my fingers

Those commons will drill with a good bit in a non impact drill.

Use plastic plugs or hammerfix, as they won't expand.

Watch for the frogs, looks like they are up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back