Not sure where to fix now area has cracked

Personally after discovering thunderbolts & chemical anchors, i'll never use expanding anchors again. If you think about it, the mechanical anchors stay in place by applying force outwards.. further more you have to drill a bigger hole whihc takes longer and the bit costs more..so why bother?

Sponsored Links
That's interesting, I think I'll stick with thunderbolts for now then :)
I will try chem anchors too though, they sound even stronger to be honest.

I've been using thunderbolts on another project too and they certainly are better than I was expecting. Although i stupidly didn't drill quite deep enough and managed to crack a brick there too :confused:

I'm fairly new to this DIY lark and I'm learning most stuff through trial and error!!

I think the clue is in the name, they are designed to anchor machines to concrete bases. They exert very high forces when tightened up with a spanner. Even when used in brickwork in the centre of a wall, they can crack the brick.
For an isolated post at the corner of a raised patio, I would use 4 stainless steel studs "glued" in predrilled holes in the patio and the post. The fixings will be invisible and will not rust or rot. Say 4 X 8mm with 6" in both post and patio.
Frank

Sponsored Links
Nice plan but what steps would you take to make sure holes were aligned and post was plumb. And what if there is less than 6" base what would you do then?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back