Erecting a fence on a slope...

My apologies Matty for the carp image but what I mean is this

You see that each set of rails is slightly lower than the ones before. This will not solve your problem on a very steep slope however on a slight slope 'panels' are dictated by the steepness of the slope so can be longer than the normal 6'.

One drawback is that I would suspect there will be more wasted materials than in the normal design.

Gravel boards are designed to be in contact with the ground, and are there to protect the fence above. In theory, the gravel boards rot first and then can be replaced. The fence should last a lot longer.
One end of one of one of my boards is half buried into the soil to keep it level.

Whadyareckon?

Sponsored Links
Yes that puts me in the picture now thank you.

I get the idea, the gravel boards then need to be extra deep so there is no gap for meeces to get through etc & the rails are not in line but stepped down per panel with the close boarding also being stepped down between each posts or.... staggered while in line & perhaps trimmed in situ.

How does that sound?

Will it still work with the rails following the angle of the slope?
That way longer rails can be used without so much wastage.

I ask because once I have finished my current fence someone else is also wanting me to do one for them (gives me some work at least).

Cheers.

Yeah, absolutely, if you are going to follow the slope then everything will follow the same line, gravel boards, rails and your cuts at the tops of the boards.

Just remember to leave enough boards over to trim. I used a hand saw after snapping a chalk line when I trimmed mine to match a slope as you can see from my first picture.

OK cheers.

I'll look at whats needed, the slope & what the ground is like.
I dont fancy digging into clay & bricks... :D

Sponsored Links
Cheers, I think I need a decent cordless drill first, my current DIY one is past its prime & not upto the job.
I have been nailing with a hammer quite well, I'm 'not' hoping for more work fencing at the moment as my car is busted :( but will take what I can get.
I have a good shovel & spirit level though :D
Oh, and the essential 4" wump ov wood..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back