Erecting a Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Similar problem, so I don't want to start a whole new topic.
I have 3ft posts in concrete. They are split and tilting but otherwise solid. My idea is to use those metpost repair spikes. If I cut the posts down to the concrete but at a straight angle, will the repair spike drive into the stub at the correct angle (straight!), and allow me to use 6ft posts in place of the old ones?

Sponsored Links
metposts are rubbish

I bet you wish now you'd got concrete posts, they are stronger and don't rot.

Well, the posts were there when I bought the house. So, OK, metpost not the answer, gimme some suggestions!
Where the fence is, the garden slopes gently away from the house. The existing concrete seems very solid (hardly any movement when I use my ample frame against it), but the 3' posts slope slightly away from the house as well. They appear to be pretty straight otherwise. I really want to put a 6' fence in it's place. Now you're going to tell me I have to put the effort in and remove the old posts, yes?

Sponsored Links
cut the posts down to the concrete. STart the fence from the opposite end and the posts should miss the existing concrete, or use a cut down panel at one end to stagger the new posts so they miss the old ones. dont use metposts. waste of time money and effort.

Turns out the "expert" who quoted me 850 to erect a fence was wrong. The posts aren't concreted in and I can get them out reasonably easily.

Hi, deeksyboy,
perhaps after you've pulled out the old posts you can widen the existing holes to concrete in your new concrete posts.
Or maybe the holes won't be in the right place.
Put one up at the end your starting from in fast set and put one up at the other end, run two lines one near the top and one near the bottom.
Use the concrete kicker boards to space them and cut the last one to suit the space.
If you have got them plumb the panels should just slide in, job done.
You need to prop the posts until the quick set grips, so use two planks with a 4" nail in one end to hook over the top and put them at rightangles to each other to hold the post plumb.
As the site slopes, get the kickers level and keep the drop/rise even overall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back