Erecting 8 ft fence post with spikes??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am erecting a 6 foot feathered fencing with 8ft 4 x4" posts. One post has been erected with post fix ready cement. The middle post has been hammered into a spike (stake) into the soil.

This post would have been cemented in if it weren't for next doors decking. Now if you are cementing a post of this size then 2 foot needs to be sunk into the ground. With the spike only 6 inches!! is being hammered into the spike base. The spike is hammered into the soil. The bottom of the square base is touching the top of the soil.

I take this to be correct?

My thoughts are this. The sheer weight of the post is not going to be fully supported when the fence is erect and the high winds start in the bad seasons.
If 2 foot of the first post is submerged into a 2 foot hole and is cemented in how the heck will the second post ONLY submerged 6 inches into the base of the spike going to hold??

I also have another problem. I am not completely happy with the level of this second post. It is not entirely vertical because I was restricted when hitting the spike into the soil with the dolly provided. I used a spirit level but because of the decking that surrounds it I hadn't enough space. There is a 5 inch square cut out for this spike to enter. Now I am thinking of pulling the spike back up and starting again. I am not happy with the amount of weight this spike has to carry and I will look a fool if after erecting the fence that in the winter the post will blow over :(

Has anybody used a spike for a 8 ft 4 x 4" post before?

Sponsored Links
Bad idea all round, these things aren't very good. They have their uses but holding up a run of 6ft fencing isn't one of them.

Having said that, if it's just the one post, and the posts either side of it are concreted in, then you might get away with it.

The real problem seems to be the neighbours decking, either you are trying to erect your fence in their garden or their decking has been installed in yours. If the latter is the case then ask if they will remove the offending sections temporarily while you are putting in the post.

What is the distance between posts? With featheredge fencing you can adjust the distance between posts to suit.

Thanks for your reply.

There decking was installed when the orginal fencing was up and so there decking went up to the posts. The fence and posts were terribly put up before I bought the house 8 mths ago. It was a 3 x 3 inch post and the horizontal supports were appallingly nailed together. I have seen nothing like it before.
All posts had to be taken out which the middle and end post furtherest from the back of the house were held in by loose spikes.
Because I had more space on the furthest post I was able to dig a hole to support the 8 ft post. But the middle one is going to be hard to support and yes you are right these sized posts should be cemented in.

I would say the gap between either side of the middle post is 3m.

The middle post is next to the step from the top part of the decking to the lower. I maybe can get around the post by digging inwards to my side. If I fill with cement on my side and maybe 3 sides around the post. So not really able to dig against the step.

I would say the gap between either side of the middle post is 3m.

You can get 3m arris rails, so could do away with this troublesome post altogether.

Or better, use a 3m length of treated 4x2 instead of arris rails, use 3 in total for the 6ft height. Planing or cutting a slope in the top of the 4x2 will help water run off, as will couple of coats of fence treatment. You can still use your 4x4 post to take the strain of the rails in the centre, but will get away with it just resting on the ground.

Sponsored Links
if you can dig towards your property you might consider a concrete spur. this will be set back by the thickness of the post as the post is bolted to it. they are very strong.

not everybody likes them. you can paint it to match the woodstain

can you see one here?

View media item 978

dont use the spike. it wont take the weight or movement of the fence. they are fit only for scrap.

John also has a range of painted concrete gnomes and he has succesfully painted his patio in gloss green paint to match the grass! :LOL:

Ignore Thermo's dislike of concrete, he is assembling a good stock of repeat business by installing wooden posts that will rot away and need replacing in a few years ;)

Maybe I should take a pic?

I need to fix that middle post with concrete. Post fix mix.
Anybody know how long it takes to set before rain is iminent? I put 2 bags in and the weather was hot. Then 2 days later I put one more bag in just in case. Then 6 hrs later it rained and never stopped.

I have to resolve this in the next week. Maybe when I start digging this hole there decking will collapse lol

I won't be happy until this post is in and secure. Then I can add the struts for the feather planks. That damn decking!
So will it topple over if only 3 sides are supported by concrete?

Seriously though, 3m can be covered easily, unless I misunderstood and it's 3m between each post.

If you must concrete 3 sides, I'd suggest bolting a short length of angle iron to the bottom of the post horizontally, and in-line with the run of the fence. Concrete all around this and the post won't be able to lean towards the open, unconcreted side.

the decking wont collapse. the rainfall shouldnt affect the postcrete.

John i do install concrete, but by god does it look ugly. Now go and paint your brickwork red and then paint all the pointing white to match in with the gnomes and the patio :LOL:

Seriously though, 3m can be covered easily, unless I misunderstood and it's 3m between each post.

Yes you misunderstood :D

3m EITHER side of the middle post..that is why it is a MIDDLE post ;)

I will let you know how I get on. I need to remove this post now and thats going to be a pain!

I have painted all my bricks and paving buff, and my pointing grey, as you see.

View media item 979
and the concrete brown. Blends in nicely, doesn't it?

This picture also shows every gnome I possess.

Well guys I have just finished digging 2 foot and the decking hasn't been a problem. :D

It was tough getting the spike out. There was a lot of clay and I see I avoided a pipe by 3 inches!! :eek:

So I wasted money on this spike and I need another post but at least the hole is dug and ready for a new post and post fix mix. Well at least now I can safely say I am going to have a solid post which will last for years :)

NEVER go for a spike again. Not for that weight of post anyway.

Thanks guys for your wisdom :)

in that position you will really hate it, if you put in a wooden one, when it rots and snaps off :(

in that position you will really hate it, if you put in a wooden one, when it rots and snaps off

What do you mean John?

The post is pressured treated. And then cemented all around the base. Isn't that what the house developers do when they build fences?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back