Erecting a garden swing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently got a an old wooden garden swing from a friend who wanted rid
of it. I dug out the swing which was embedded in concrete leaving the
concete attached. I thought that I would just dig some new holes in our
garden and pop the poles in with the old concrete attached. However a friend wondered whether this was safe. Does anybody know ?

Rgds

Raphe

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
The problem will be the concrete will make the swing very heavy to move, so maybe best to break the old concrete.

the swing wont be anywhere near as secure as it would be with new concrete as it will fill in around the posts and into the irregularities in the holes better.

Sponsored Links
You need to put extra concrete in. As someone swings out past the front set of legs, the back set will tend to pull out of the ground, with the front legs acting as a pivot; and vice versa. If you need to chip the old concrete off the legs before re-concreting, the drive a couple of nails into the legs where the nails will be below ground level, this will prevent the legs from pulling out of the new concrete plug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back