Erecting stud wall under existing RSJ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put up a stud wall in an opening 3.3m W * 2.1m H, to re-establish a division which has previously been knocked through (quite a while ago, not sure when).

I'm told that the ceiling in that opening is an RSJ, as we might expect, and it clearly has plasterboard over it. Will there likely be some timber structure around the RSJ as well, and what form might this take? What is the best way for me to fix a header plate to this surface? I can make some holes in the ceiling to find out what the structure is, but is there an established way to do this?

The floor and two walls seem sound and will provide a good structure for the rest of the wall to mount onto. The new wall does not need to stand up to any particular unusual abuse, it is just a partition in a domestic setting and will be boarded and skimmed.

I have read various ideas so far such as cutting out the plasterboard for the header plate, then using adhesive between the header plate and the metal itself.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Just glue (gripfil) the top plate to the plaster board and spike a few screws through. It won't be going anywhere.

Just glue (gripfil) the top plate to the plaster board and spike a few screws through. It won't be going anywhere.

Great, that suits me. Thanks. I guess I need to put the header plate up first and wedge it on tight while the adhesive dries, then build the rest of the stud underneath it?

Sponsored Links
just make sure the legs do wedge it up nice and tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back