Erratic RCD

Sorry to be more bother but I am now a little confused - with regard to a replacement consumer unit (which to be honest now seems to be the probable (and hopefully ) final conclusion.

Would one buy a consumer unit connecting the 6 circuits mentioned in my 2nd post (2-6amp,1-16amp and 3-32amp) with one which has capacity for (and uses) 2 RCD's which would share the circuitry in some way AND use 6-RCBO's rather than bog standard MCB's.

I seem to have lost the plot a bit here !

Sponsored Links
Changing a consumer unit is not the answer to sorting out a wiring fault.
Shame on anyone who suggested that as the answer !

No- Of course installing a new consumer unit may not be the final solution but I wouldn't do this without initial test readings - surely though it would have the effect of :

1. Identifying the fault to a particular circuit
2. Erasing the problem where the whole house goes 'out'
3. May save hours of expensive 'examination' (by localising to circuit)
(Professional electrician time is not cheap nor guaranteed to solve)
4. Upgrading to the latest level of protection is sensible .
5. Giving me initial HOPE that it is not some spurious web laden connection in some far off corner of the house. after I've spent £thou to find it.

Allow me to clutch at straws -they MAY be strong enough.

How about a faulty RCD ?

H E L P

I`d think it would be the RCD is faulty , it sounds like is the Old style Wylex which uses the NSB MCB`s , I`d go down the route of isolating the Fridge Freezer and try that out , or it could be .....

Water in Outside Light
Faulty appliance Element - Kettle/Oven/Immersion ....
Damge to Cables
Rodent damage
It could be virtually anything !

My choice after limited Testing would put in a Board with a std DP Switch and RCBO`s for all Circuits

Lucky

Sponsored Links
The RCD judging by the part number i think is now obsolete.
so changing that may entail a new board, yet they were pretty robust units so unlikely in my opinion.

As we have said all along changing the board will help pinpoint now and also in future events, and be better for the reasons you list, be upfront and honest with the installer about the tripping and the installer will most likely locate the fault at the same time as certain amount of testing is involved.
As said changing the board, as you know, will NOT resolve the tripping, unless it was the Rcd all along
For 6 ways i would prefer a main switch board capable of about 8 ways and fit all rcbos as
preferable to a twin rcd unit which is more for a cheaper mcb option

Most boards with a mainswitch and no rcd will take Rcbo.s and you will also have the option of fitting mcb if you make the freezer a non rcd conforming socket.
Personally id go for mem, hagar, mk, wylex and you may be looking at 40 for the board and 35 to 50 for each rcbo but your electrician will advise and get them trade , but tell him if you prefer branded reputable names over some of the cheaper options

Would one buy a consumer unit connecting the 6 circuits mentioned in my 2nd post (2-6amp,1-16amp and 3-32amp) with one which has capacity for (and uses) 2 RCD's which would share the circuitry in some way AND use 6-RCBO's rather than bog standard MCB's.

rcbos and rcds do the same, so an all rcbo install will not reguire any rcd in your situation just a standard main switch in the board to isolate all 6 circuits, but get an 8way with two blanks as you may want extra circuits in the future.

I wish to conclude this Subject by thanking you all for making and taking the time and effort to involve yourselves in SOMEONE ELSE'S problem (mine).

Without getting into the Political Sphere I would say that this IS the BIG SOCIETY (much quoted by polititions) in action.

My decision brought about by my increased understanding of the problem (thanks to you guys) is to contact a qualified Electrician - ask him to replace my old Wylex Consumer Unit with one that contains 8 possible circuit positions whilst installing 6 of them with RCBO's. My thinking is that this would of course upgrade my current installation but still enable some testing to take place.

He MAY find the cause of the problem but at the least it (hopefully) will be contained within ONE circuit which will be more manageable.

Thanks again fellow 'BIG Society' members.............

Well ....finally

The job is done.
The new consumer unit is fitted.
Each circuit is protected by RCBO
Immediately after there was a circuit failure as before with the new system in place. (but now I knew which circuit)
I moved some articles (like the fridge) onto different circuits .
Eventually they were all 'exonerated' !

FINALLY, Finally, finally. I believe that the cause was a lighting circuit in the car port that was connected by fused spur. (Probably became damp or cobwebby)
This has now been disconnected for a month and the problem has not re appeared.

END OF STORY

Surely a decent electrician could have tracked that down with an IR tester and saved having to have a new CU installed?

You may be right rf lighting .............but
as I have explained elsewhere in this topic It was my decision to replace the consumer unit.

The excellent electrician that I engaged did the replacement and testing for an agreed fixed amount.

I was completely satisfied and did my own testing between circuits until I found the fault by elimination . (as yet still only proven by my amateur activities.)

For me topic finished

Byeee (and thanks)

What testing and certification did your electrician provide you with on completion of the work?

Was the work notified to building control and if so have they issued you with any certification?

Was the electrician registered with an approved scheme?

Did the electrician find this fault? As you say
I was completely satisfied and did my own testing between circuits until I found the fault by elimination

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back