Escape Routes - fire resistant cable fixings

RMS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

PVC trunking ran along the top edge of a wall forming part of an escape route.

Would metal all round banding around cables screwed through the trunking into wall studs be acceptable in relation to BS7671 AMD3?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yup or they make fixings designed to sit between your fixing and the trunking and then fold over the cable. D-Line make them amongst many others. They were expensive when they first started making their way into wholesalers, not sure whether they've come down a bit now.

Not sure what where you are in the UK has to do with 521.11.201

The D-Line clips are still very expensive, at least from the local wholesalers. Very very expensive for what is nothing more than a stamped out bit of thin metal.

Sponsored Links
Screwed in how, what are wall studs,, as far as i know rawlplugs do not conform now, one way is to use concrete screws apparently

Vertical wall studs located behind the plaster

Yup or they make fixings designed to sit between your fixing and the trunking and then fold over the cable. D-Line make them amongst many others. They were expensive when they first started making their way into wholesalers, not sure whether they've come down a bit now. Not sure what where you are in the UK has to do with 521.11.201
The market may expand considerably, and the price hence hopefully will come down, next year if the 18th sticks per draft ...

... it appears that the proposal is to replace 521.11.201 with a new 521.10.202, with similar requirements, other than that it applies to the entire installation, not just escape routes.

Kind Regards, John

If that is included as in the draft, it means that plastic cable clips are gone and round plastic conduit is pretty much gone as well - perhaps could be used buried in a wall or floor, but certainly not exposed on a wall.

If that is included as in the draft, it means that plastic cable clips are gone and round plastic conduit is pretty much gone as well - perhaps could be used buried in a wall or floor, but certainly not exposed on a wall.
Indeed. As the pre-amble to the DPC says "This is a significant change"!

I must say that, having been brought up on metal buckle clips, when they seemingly disappeared and were almost universally replaced with plastic clips, I rather assumed that this had happened because of a concern about having bits of exposed unearthed metal tightly wrapped around a cable which, under certain circumstances might melt. However, it seems as if the clock is being turned back, and the concern I've just mentioned has been deemed to 'not be a concern'!

Would not a series of metal clips (like the copper ones available for plumbing) around the outside of surface-mounted plastic conduit do the trick (even if not very attractive!)?

Kind Regards, John

I would imagine spacer saddles made out of metal and powder coated white would suffice. Bit more expensive than the plastic equivalent though!

Indeed. As the pre-amble to the DPC says "This is a significant change"!

I must say that, having been brought up on metal buckle clips, when they seemingly disappeared and were almost universally replaced with plastic clips, I rather assumed that this had happened because of a concern about having bits of exposed unearthed metal tightly wrapped around a cable which, under certain circumstances might melt. However, it seems as if the clock is being turned back, and the concern I've just mentioned has been deemed to 'not be a concern'!

Would not a series of metal clips (like the copper ones available for plumbing) around the outside of surface-mounted plastic conduit do the trick (even if not very attractive!)?

Kind Regards, John
Where we work, another company has recently done the fire alarms, for the drops down to the call points they have enclosed the red Fp in 25mm round plastic conduit secured with Galv metal conduit saddles, it looks odd but they seem to think it conforms.

it appears that the proposal is to replace 521.11.201 with a new 521.10.202, with similar requirements, other than that it applies to the entire installation, not just escape routes.
Time for the pros to dust off their pyro tools...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back