Essex Area - Rough estimate per sqm

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm thinking of getting a single storey extension, does any one know what the average is per square metre at moment? I can only see estimates going back a few years, which I assume are now out of date.

Also what kind of finish does that cover? Plastered finished?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
We're getting plastered finish but doing electrics/water supply ourselves. Not quite Essex more like outer London.
I suppose it's something like 3250 including vat. Plumbing and electrics would have taken it to more like 3650.
But... how long is the average piece of string? All the steels aren't adding any more square metres

Sponsored Links
You should at least be able to work out what materials you'll need.. e.g. There's about 10 concrete block per sqm of wall. Multiply by the wall sizes. That's your block count.. blocks are about a quid each..
Then do he bricks you like
Then plasterboard, approx 2.5sqm each (its more but that gives a good margin for wastage), and a fiver each.
Should be able to price most stuff off Wickes website, or screwfix.. they even sell stuff like bifolding door sets. Glazing is 100 to 300 quid a sqm depending on your spec, pvc, alu, triple glazed etc

Having totalled up all the materials you'll need, add 25% to cover things you've forgotten, like screws, glues, trims, etc..
Now double the amount - that's probably the price "oop norf". Now add 50% again - that's probably the price "darn sarf"

Some jobs cost way more for the install than the materials, some way less. My timber frame was 26k and erection 13k. My plaster was 1k and install 4k. Overall it works out between double and triple the material cost, for building a house.. extensions are disproportionately a little more; John's southern extension is about 3.5k a metre, my northern new build is working out about 1k/sqm at the moment, but I've done most of it myself so that's broadly a material cost and my time rated at 0

Uhmm I very much doubt that someone without a large amount of building knowlage would be able to price everything up. Evern people in the industry get it wrong all the time.
Depending on what finish you want and how you want you manage the build (get someone in to do all of it or you get different trades in) prices varies dramatically.
A nice round 1.5k-2.5k if it's simple and straight forward.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back