essex flange

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

im replumbing the way the water flows to the shower pump as its installed incorrectly. the cold supply to the cylinder has a tee in it to supply the cold input to the pump which causes lower pressure at the hot pump supply.

the problem is that the cold storage tank is 'built into the house' and there is no potential to get a fitting onto it other than an essex flange which i can only drill the hole for vertically into the bottom of the tank. will i find the inside of the tank corroded to the point where i cant seal it and just have one big mess on my hands?

the cold tank has prob been in there 30 years. :D

Sponsored Links
Whaqt type off tank is it Copper/Fibreglass/Galvanised steel or plastic. Is there no access to any of the sides at all. How do u gain acess to the float valve.?

its a galvanised water tank, why do i need to worry about the float valve?

not enough space at the sides to get a drill in :(

Replace the tank, at 30 years old its ready to start leaking anyway.

Mine leaked when I was away over Christmas, fortunately it leaked through the light fitting into the basin below!

Sponsored Links
If you have a galvanised tank, I assume you mean hot water tank, then run your hand around the sides and look for a return tapping, about a 1/3rd down.

Ideal for a pump if you can find one.

As for fitting and essex flange I really don't advice you try. Certainly I would only do it at your risk, and with the understanding you could need a new tank.

Definately risky to drill the bottom of an old galvy tank, very likely the bottom will fall apart once disturbed. If it is in perfect condition you could get away with it.

I understand that it will be a major operation to chane the tank because of access / location. In the end you will have to so have a good long lok at doing the full job now with a new one complient with water regs (still referred to as a bylaw kit, but not strictly true).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back