Ethernet between two houses

Sponsored Links
I far as I am aware we can't allow talk through with voice, but we can connect packet radio to the internet, not sure on rules, but when I used packet it was used a lot where you could not set up a HF link.

In USA they can use talk through, it was quite amusing listening to wife's talking to loved ones on Antarctica, they seemed unaware the whole world could listen in. Of course I was ideally placed as a VP8.

Now or then?

If then the GPO who would most likely run a pair from each house into the local exchange and jumper them together.

If now I don’t know.
It that the same as the party line, press the button to get a line, dad's house when sold still had the GPO earth stake for the party line, in fact the guy who fitted the CU in 2004 connected it up as the main earth, around 4 mm² bare copper.

It that the same as the party line, press the button to get a line

No a Private Wire was a point to point pair and not part of the normal telephone system other than the pair would use existing cables of the telephone network where possible.

Sponsored Links
Hang on a minute.....

If you have the required fibre connection to you house and the route to the other location is through your garden then maybe the best solution is for you to grant a wayleave across your property for the fibre supplier to install a cable from their street cabinet to the location.

That way your system is not affected and you could charge a rent for the wayleave

Hang on a minute..... If you have the required fibre connection to you house and the route to the other location is through your garden then maybe the best solution is for you to grant a wayleave across your property for the fibre supplier to install a cable from their street cabinet to the location. That way your system is not affected and you could charge a rent for the wayleave
As I understand it, it is the neighbour of the OP's friend who has the internet connection, and wants to share it with the OP's friend.

The implication of what the OP has said is that the ISP is, for some reason. not prepared ("not able") to provide a fibre connection to his friend's house, but maybe they could be persuaded to by going through his friend's neighbour's property (with a wayleave).

Kind Regards, John

The implication of what the OP has said is that the ISP is, for some reason. not prepared ("not able") to provide a fibre connection to his friend's house, but maybe they could be persuaded to by going through his friend's neighbour's property (with a wayleave).
Big buisinesses tend to be based around their own bureaucratic rules and broadband is a relatively cheap mass-market service that is deployed on a bulk basis rather than an expensive custom service. Combine this with a gradual rollout and it's easy to find yourself in a situation where your neighbours section of the network has been "upgraded", but yours has not.

Openreach does offer a "fiber on demand" service, which AIUI is available anywhere you can get FTTC, but it can be rather expensive as you have to pay for the build-out and only a small number of ISPs offer it.

Sounds like you need a wifi P-T-P connection. However the current round of broad band adverts quote that 50m isn't an issue so perhaps just give them your router codes and make sure both ends are line of sight?

Is the 50mm with repeaters which you pay for monthly !!!
If one needed repeaters to get 50mm range, I think there might be a problem :)

More seriously, though, I can 'see', and have occasionally connected to ('in emergencies'!) WiFis of neighbours more than 50m away.

Kind Regards, John

My internet connection is, and has been for many years, from a microwave dish on a nearby hill. A company was set up to provide that service to my, and surrounding, villages at a time when BT's (copper) cables could do little better than 0.5 Mbps. Subsequently, BT have brought an optical cable to the village and, more recently, Gigaclear have cabled our village. However, my ISP seems to be continuing to do fairly well (i.e. surviving!), with its microwave PTP system, I presume because many/most of their customers (virtually all private houses) find the service (8 -15 Mbps for some, up to about 32 Mbps for others) to be more than adequate for our needs.

Kind Regards, John
We're the same, the internet comes from a dish on a hillside, we don't even have a phone line to the house. I think the speed is up to about 50mbps, provided by a local company.

We're the same, the internet comes from a dish on a hillside, we don't even have a phone line to the house. I think the speed is up to about 50mbps, provided by a local company.
We at least do have a phoneline but, as I said, until recently it was copper all the way back to the exchange, hence of little use to man or beast. I seem to be in the middle of the two ranges which my ISP claims - I generally get 15-20 Mbps, which is more than enough for my needs.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back