ethernet connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
while rewiring part of the house i am moving to I ran ethernet cables to 3 rooms in the house and they will be terminated behind the TV's as I thought I might aswell have hard wired points when it is easy to get the cables in and leave the wi-fi for tablets, phones etc.
I have terminated these at each point but what advice would you give for terminating at the router end, the 3 cables are in a standard socket back box, can i just terminate them and just plug them straight into the router or do i need to terminate into a cat6 sockets and then connect with 3 patch cables into the router. do i need a switch ? i see some people fit them when i was researching on the net
Cheers

Sponsored Links
can i just terminate them and just plug them straight into the router

You can, but loose cables just coming out the wall can look a bit naff IMHO, even with a brush plate. Then they get in the way in future, for decorating, new carpets, etc. Any you don't need right now are just in the way also. At least a patch lead can be unplugged.

do i need to terminate into a cat6 sockets and then connect with 3 patch cables into the router.

That's neater, the wall sockets then becomes your 'patch panel'. Easier to label also.

do i need a switch ?

Depends! How many ethernet ports are left on the back of the router after plugging in the 'local' devices that will sit where the router lives? (i.e. Sky box, PS5, smart TV, etc)

Last edited:
I'd advise run as many ethernet can you afford and have space for. Suggest 2 per room. So have a patch panel.
connection direct to router - definitely the TV(s) and satellite receiver, maybe recorder, computers etc can be connected via a switch ( unless you have a serious gaming habit in the house).
As you have seen from other recent threads on this forum fixed line phone will be connected via the router in the near (2 to 3 years) future so with a suitable cable to the phone points will be bonus for you with the missus!

I'll suggest even more than 2 cables per room, especially where the room will be occupied by a teenager+ or media junky, or the main TV room/lounge.

Having to add a switch when you run out because someone wants to use a PC, PS4/5 and other devices without having to swap plugs around because the device is in it's cubby hole can be resolved
with some forethought and extra cables.

Terminate in a patch panel and then you can use them at your leisure.
Get a bigger switch than you currently think you need, the more ports the better.
If you have children then a managed router can make life easier later on too.

Sponsored Links
Spot on advice, have these fitted in the rooms
BGNBSBTM2.JPG

Back