Ethernet flood wiring: T568 A or B?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Final stage before the floorboards are screwed back down properly is ethernet cabling. I will put a small patch panel in the loft adjacent to the router and run LAN cable(s) from here to each room, and a WAN cable down to the master BT socket / modem location (I have an FTTC order in progress :D).

I know there is no electrical difference between the T568A and T568B standards, but does anyone have any advice over which to choose?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I don't think it matters providing the types are consistent within the property, slight difference in core colours but performance wise not that much to shout about. In general the B type is more for the commercial sector and A household/residential.

Thanks - yes I know it's normally for the 240V stuff, but having observed the regulars for some time, they're not short of an opinion on anything involving wires (and other things!)

Sponsored Links
TIA/EIA has recommended the "A" standard for new installations for a while, but in practice the "B" configuration is still by far the most common, in no small part due it being the same as the old AT&T 258A scheme adopted in the earlier days of twisted-pair Ethernet.

But as the difference is only in the swapping of the orange/white and green/white pairs, it makes no practical difference to the equipment connected, as you say, so the main thing is to be consistent throughout the house to avoid confusion later.

I always wire them to B standard, it just seems so much more natural. As longs as the cables are both the same at each end it doesn't really matter though. The electrons don't give a damn what colours the wires are as long as they are both the same at each end.

Don't do a lot of cat5 though, but have just had to completely cat out my workshop.

have just had to completely cat out my workshop.
kitty-assistant-sm.jpg
40959881.jpg

I lost both my cats this year sadly but when I get a place of my own I shall have at least one cat.

I miss them so much :(

I know how you feel. I lost my little feline companion of over 12 years last December, and it still hurts, and I still have days when it seems to hit me worse than others.

The pictures above do bring back memories of being "helped" with things though!

I know how you feel. I lost my little feline companion of over 12 years last December, and it still hurts, and I still have days when it seems to hit me worse than others.

The pictures above do bring back memories of being "helped" with things though!

Have you not thought of getting another one? We haven't as my mum has bad asthma and her breathing has been better since the cats died (one had a stroke, the other just went missing but he was 18 and had feline dementia).

One incentive to get my own place is the thought of having a cat, but at the same time, I am not sure I can handle the hurt and pain any more. Had four different cats since 1993 and lost them all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back