EU make offer to reduce 80% of post Brexit checks at NI border

Where is the threat of violence coming from?

The British government hasn't threatened violence as far as i am aware.
Who said anything about the british government?

I guess you haven't heard about 'nationalists' and 'republicans' :rolleyes:

But as I said before...

Are you one of those who believes that the return of violence to N.I. is a 'price worth paying' for brexit?

Yes or no?

Sponsored Links
You are in denial

You voted for brexit

brexit means RoI is aligned to single market, NI is not.

it was agreed by everybody that a land border wasnt possible
Boris Johnson chose to put a border between NI and GB

that was the price of a hard brexit.

why can you not accept brexit has consequences?

"The protocol says that they should go frozen, indeed the deal lists a vast body of EU laws (see Annex 2) that would apply to goods going into Northern Ireland from Great Britain, including the chilled meats prohibition.

This was further, explicitly agreed by the UK in a declaration last December setting out that the six month grace period would allow NI business time to “adjust”, ie source chilled meat products from either NI or the Republic of Ireland.

It is, therefore, pretty galling to Brussels that the UK is now saying that, on reflection, it is “bonkers” (the Environment Secretary George Eustice this week on Radio 4) that British bangers should have to go to NI in frozen form, when that was what was explicitly agreed."

looks like EU initially made the mistake of believing that UK was acting in good faith and could be trusted to abide by its word and signed agreement.

They won't make that mistake again.

Sponsored Links
You voted for brexit

brexit means RoI is aligned to single market, NI is not.

it was agreed by everybody that a land border wasnt possible
Boris Johnson chose to put a border between NI and GB

that was the price of a hard brexit.

why can you not accept brexit has consequences?
Vinty won't answer a single question about the consequences for N.I. let alone all the other disastrous things that are happening and will happen due to brexit ...

Those consequences were known before the vote...

Thus you are responsible too!

The UK reneged on the Munich agreement.
Would you care to expand on that? It would be useful to understand the circumstances, to see if there a parallels with the existing situation over the NI protocol.

For example, did anything significant happen between us signing the agreement and then "reneging" on it?

You have cited it. Id like you to explain its relevance.

And, Vinty, when are you going to stop whining about the fact that you won?
The fact that they never expected to win, in the light of the current problems, may have a bearing.
They won, and now they're stuck with all the problems it's brought. But they don't have any solutions.

The fact that they never expected to win, in the light of the current problems, may have a bearing.
They won, and now they're stuck with all the problems it's brought. But they don't have any solutions.
They need to own it, and move on. Continuing to moan makes it look as if they do not accept the democratic result.

Vinty won't answer a single question about the consequences for N.I. let alone all the other disastrous things that are happening and will happen due to brexit ...

Those consequences were known before the vote...

Thus you are responsible too!

Yes I accept I am responsible too.

I would say though the consequences for NI weren't that well publicised before the vote.

If you remember, back then even Farage was talking about the Norway option - the hard Brexit we ended up with wasn't really discussed.

Some thought it would finish up with the Norway option. In fact they seemed to think it was the only sane solution. Never bottomed it out but comments suggested reduced contributions and exceptions to some rules. That was seen as should be politically acceptable - a compromise. Cameron appeared to get a exception while we were in it actually. Social security aspects as the UK is a little different to others in this area.

;) This assumes I am correct about it being the Norway option. It was very early on.

the hard Brexit we ended up with wasn't really discussed.

We didn't get a hard brexit. A hard brexit would have been a better outcome as far as NI is concerned . Heard an interesting statistic by Boris Johnson today, if you total all border checks carried out by the EU, along the entire outer perimeter of EU borders, 20% of them are carried out in NI, WTF?

Anyway the grown ups will be discussing it over the weekend, daresay it'll be sorted by Sunday one way or another.

We didn't get a hard brexit.

:ROFLMAO: Yeh - we got a wonderful deal instead. Just as some said we would. They will still want to sell us their BMW's as one person said. Of course they will. Plus of course plenty of fresh fruit and veg and I believe a lot of chicken.

Seems to be a bit of a problem selling the other way and the sausage fiasco makes good press - silly EU etc, it's the deal and as far as paperwork is concerned only the tip of the iceberg.

Sponsored Links
Back