Euro lock cylinder - now can't remove keys when unlocked

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed the euro lock cylinder from my back door in order to get the lock off.
(See other post //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=190749 )
It came out easy enough like in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udgnrM11fX8

However, it was a bit of a struggle getting it back in.
Things didn't quite line up perfectly and it didn't slide in nicely.
I had to help it from the other end.

I'm pretty sure it went back in the right way round.

It locks OK.
However, when unlocking it unlocks but doesn't turn fully enough to remove the keys.

Any ideas what I've done?
I may need to remove it to replace the lock gearing, should I just try brute force bashing it through from the other side and have a new cylinder standing by?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the cam (the black bit in the middle of the cylinder) is in the wrong position. In the picture below shows the correct position of the cam when there’s no key in the cylinder. If the cam is at the 2 o’clock or 11 o’clock position then it has slipped. It can be fixed but it's not easy.
doublecyl.jpg

The euro lock cylinder wasn't damaged and came off as normal once the handles had been taken off and the locks detached from the UPVC door.

I think it was the way I fitted it and it was being pinched by the lock mechanism.
When I put it back on I put the cylinder in before fixing the lock to the door to ensure it was lined up correctly.

The slots cut out of the door for the main gearbox and 2 slave locks were much bigger than they needed to be. I don't know if this is poor workmainship or is done to allow different locks to replace it.
Anyway, this means you can easily misalign it.

Basically putting on the lock, screwing on the handle to help hold the lock in it's correct postion, then screwing the lock back to the door seemed to be the proper way of doing things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back