Euro cylinder which automatically locks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to get a euro cylinder style lock which you can never leave unlocked? So it'll need a key from both the outside and inside but will automatically be closed once you remove the key. My housemate is useless and keeps leaving the front door unlocked and I've had enough of reminding him! If it needs more than just a cylinder replacement more details would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you'd be better off fitting a magnetic lock, either with key operation or numeric pad...pinenot :)

you are looking for a nightlatch.

Is it a wooden door, or plastic?

Both doors are UPVC, one is approx 10yr old (guessing) and the other not even 1 year yet (I had the wooden one replaced when I moved in). Any examples you can give me? I've tried with Google but I can't seem to find what I need. I've changed the cylinders when I moved in (as a precaution) but never done any more than that.

Sponsored Links
there are lots of nightlatches for wooden doors, but not so many for plastic. It is not the cylinder that you need to change, but the lock/latch mechanism.

try "lock warehouse" if I remember rightly, or more serious lock traders.

It might be called an "escape latch" meaning you can open it with a knob or handle from the inside, without a key, in an emergency.

It will probably not be deadlocked if it latches just by slam action.

This video appears to show exactly what I want: http://youtu.be/NgJvkk9OXII. Must be possible then surely?

OK so it seems I need to know if my locks can take a split spindle or not... How do I check this? I know they definitely have solid ones at the moment. If not then I can change the whole mechanism it seems but obviously more expensive!

Okay I'm answering my own questions here but for anyone else wondering... I need to remove the door handles and see if there is a split in the mechanism itself. If not then it's a case of replacing the entire thing, which I've also found out how to do now if it comes to it. Thanks for the help so far, I just needed to know it was called a "night latch" and now Google is finally speaking to me! :mrgreen:

Checked and found both front and back door are split spindle capable locks :) . Back being 60mm, front being 70mm thickness. I think I will try just the front door for now as that's the one he often leaves unlocked when he gets a take-away delivered or a delivery arrives etc. Grand total: £4.90 inc delivery.

That means when I'm gardening or going to the garage, the back door can be left open and I won't accidentally lock myself out. SO FAR, I've never left either door unlocked as I'm a bit obsessive about it! (and I don't live in a high crime area, in fact it's very quiet!).

The only reason I've noticed that it's been left unlocked is because I habitually check it as I walk past... otherwise it would be left for days at a time possibly since we don't use that door most of the time :rolleyes: .

Sounds like you need a new housemate!

Split spindle is definitely the easiest way here. You could replace the outside handle with a non-moving one if you wanted, but this would be purely cosmetic.

Just a follow up, split spindle has done the job perfectly. For anyone installing one, make sure you put the end with the spring to the inside. I did have to then remove the latch and turn the slotted screw 180 degrees to make it work the correct way (it was making it so I couldn't get out from the inside at first!). All done in 10mins tops.

Yeah, I know that this is a 10 year old post... but it turned up on my first google search page.

My customer recently asked me to source a self deadlocking lock. She wanted me to fit a night latch lock. I told her that I couldn't because the door liner is only about 8mm away from the wall.

I have since managed to source a suitable lock. £155 though, and that doesn't include the euro profile mechanism.

I presume yours is a wooden door?

I have a few older examples, but I thought the market for mortice nightlatches had dried up.

I have a 3R35, very good, but it is not BS. On mine I have not disabled the handle locking action but I never lock that when the house is occupied.

I presume yours is a wooden door?

I have a few older examples, but I thought the market for mortice nightlatches had dried up.

I have a 3R35, very good, but it is not BS. On mine I have not disabled the handle locking action but I never lock that when the house is occupied.

Yeah, it is a timber door at the top of a flight of stairs that leads into the second floor flat.

The door will not have any kind of handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back