Euro Thumbturn Cylinder - Safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have one of these locks on my front door. http://www.easylocks.co.uk/era-pin-....html?osCsid=812520a011514705d905bfdf00e365cc

Now the other day I heard the letter box rattling late at night so I sneaked downstairs and to my amazement I saw someone attempting to open the thumb turn from the outside with some sort of object now of course this poses a problem surely?

If they really want to get in and have the information that I have one of these locks I'm sure they'll be able to break in!

I contacted my landlord as I live in a rented property and they said "We've never had this problem before." like that makes a difference to my situation, useless.

They then continued to say they wouldn't be allowed to fit such a lock if it was possible to open it from the outside but I did some research and a similar lock was recalled and said that if they were to be installed make sure they're 2 meters away from the letter box, mine is less than a meter away.

Does anyone know if I actually have something to worry about? I honestly think I do but my landlord won't listen to me.

Sponsored Links
this kind of cylinder is often fitted on flats where, in the event of a fire or other emergency, there is no other way to get out.

the idea is that you will not be killed by smoke while trying to find the key.

if that is not a requirenment for you, you could remove the cylinder and fit one that has a keyhole at both ends. It will be no better unless you remove the key every night and put it somwhere that it cannot be seen, touched or fished through the letter box

You could also fit a metal cage round the letter box inside

I am assuming you have a plastic door. If you have a wooden one you can easily fit one or two mortice bolts which will also make it more difficult to kick or barge the door open.

Letter box cage sounds like an easy fix. Like the other post you have to consider your safety. I had the same problem and have a key up on a nail way out of reach, of kids aswell they have escaped in their sleep!

They then continued to say they wouldn't be allowed to fit such a lock if it was possible to open it from the outside

That is not correct, but it still wont help you.

The landlord is responsible for ensuring that the door is secure - ie can be locked shut.He is not responsible if people can open locks with a device or whatever through the letter box

There is no reason why a landlord should provide a thumbturn cylinder, but many think that they should so that the tenant can open the door easily in case of fire. They incorrectly think that they might be liable for any injury otherwise

This type of lock may invalidate your insurance. But that would be for you to sort out, not your landlord

Sponsored Links
You always need more than one way to secure a door, needs a bolt or two.
Let a lady friend into her home after she locked herself out, I removed the letterbox from the outside[just a couple of screws] , she then just put her arm thru and unlocked the thumb turn. Thieves have been known to bring small children with them just for this purpose.

it strikes me that a typical letter cage is made of light metal mesh, and secured with a few tiny screws.

If I didn't care about a bit of damage, I could probably punch one off the door through the letterbox, especially if it was a plastic door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back