EV Chargepoint/Supply Requirements/Smart Meter Fitment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I posted recently about getting a chargepoint fitted and am working through all the questions on a fitting company’s online form.
As is often the case, my own supply looks nothing like their diagrams. I seem to not have a looped supply - there is just one (giant) cable coming through the floor - and a 100A main fuse, so I suppose all good so far.
However there seems like a lot of junk and complexity (DNO responsibility I suppose) and no isolator for the CU - something the chargepoint fitter seems to specify, even though fairly recent electricians have not seemed to have any problem with that.
I am wondering if now might be the time to have a smart-meter fitted and if it would be a normal request for an isolator to be fitted at the same time? I’m also assuming the (DNO) fitter would remove the existing junk?
I’m attaching some photos - so comments would be very welcome, particularly if you see anything that might cause problems.
2F3ED2BF-6686-45D8-BB50-4095061EFC0C.jpeg
1DE98C64-C925-4621-A11C-233E95002040.jpeg
6C019174-97D7-427C-AD22-02AA6E3F057F.jpeg
66B01E64-875F-4B83-84BF-EE1EFF726C31.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Are you using the timeswitch / economy7 setup?

My first call would be to the DNO to see if they'd replace the service head with something a bit more modern and sort out that really shonky earth wire.

With that done, removing the time switch and fitting a smart meter might tidy things up somewhat. I cant quite make out where all the wires from the henley block bottom right are going. It looks like some tails are going into the FCU bottom left?!

Theres also no RCD's anywhere, something that you should rectify.

Many thanks for the reply. My guess is that the timeswitch might have once been part of an old storage and/or water heating system? The house has had gas central heating since we moved in 18 years ago. The FCU at the bottom might also be connected to the same thing? In those 18 years I have never switched it on....
Does it make sense to book a meter installation and tell them that there is some additional work in tidying up, making safe and fitting an isolation switch before the CU? I don't really want multiple visits all dealing with essentially the same thing. I suppose they would check the earth anyway as part of the installation?
It's not very clear but the RCDs are RCBOs in the consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
I thought that might be it - NHSX1 range I believe.

Trouble is one guy does meters. Another guy service heads.

Did David savoury fit that CU lol.
Legrand main switch and wylex rcbo :LOL:
The bus bar lines up better like this

.... there is just one (giant) cable coming through the floor - and a 100A main fuse, so I suppose all good so far.
I don't think you can necessarily count your chickens about that. The "100A" marking is the maximum capacity of the fuse holder. It might contain a 100A fuse, but it might also have 60A or 80A one. Discovery what it is might be relevant to your proposed EV charger.

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks John.
That being the case, how would the EV Charger fitters know what fuse was in there if they are not allowed to open the holder (or do you have to wait for the fuse to blow)?
If it is relevant, there must already be a fair load drawn at times - it's a five bedroom house and the relatively recently extended kitchen has three ovens and six induction hob rings. There is also an electric shower along with all the other things you might expect.

Thanks John. That being the case, how would the EV Charger fitters know what fuse was in there if they are not allowed to open the holder (or do you have to wait for the fuse to blow)?
They obviously wouldn't. You/they could ask the DNO (who almost certainly wouldn't know from their records, either, but might send someone to 'look') - unless someone else breaks the seal and has a look :)
If it is relevant, there must already be a fair load drawn at times - it's a five bedroom house and the relatively recently extended kitchen has three ovens and six induction hob rings. There is also an electric shower along with all the other things you might expect.
That doesn't prove a lot - you'd be surprised how little is the average (over any reasonable period of time) current draw in even a large house - and even a 60A fuse will allow an average of well over 100A to flow for an hour or so without blowing. Were that not the case, DNO fuses would be blowing all over the place, all the time, - but, in reality, for that to happen because of 'excessive loads' is pretty rare.

Kind Regards, John

You need to call the DNO and get them to check the fuse rating. They are also the ones that will check the earth. They'll often send someone out pretty quick (same day even) especially if you mention the earth. Just tell them you believe your service head is in poor condition, the earthing is dubious and you'd like it inspected.

The meter fitters are sent out by your supplier instead, and they're also the ones likely to fit an isolator.

Its one of those slightly annoying jobs where theres three different groups of folk involved and officially each isnt allowed to touch the others bits.

That consumer unit needs replacing - and by replacing, just the main switch and case.
It's a set of very recent Wylex RCBOs, which have inexplicably been shoved into a manky 20+ year old legrand plastic consumer unit.

The timeswitch and other items could do with removing, if you want to use cheaper electricity for the EV overnight or whenever then a smart meter is a far better choice than the old E7 arrangements.

Cutout could do with replacing as well, as it's an old phenolic type and is in 2 separate parts.

it would be a normal request for an isolator to be fitted at the same time?
You don't need an isolator.

Its sometimes handy though.

Some charge point installers tend to split the tails and fit a seperate mini-CU for the charger. I guess it keeps them well away from whatever horrors lie in many peoples consumer units. Its also why they'll request an isolator, so they can shut it off and do the work without having to touch the main fuse or involve the DNO.

The meter fitters are sent out by your supplier instead, and they're also the ones likely to fit an isolator. ... Its one of those slightly annoying jobs where theres three different groups of folk involved and officially each isnt allowed to touch the others bits.
Is that true (for the 'meter fitter' and the DNO)? I've yet to see a 'meter fitter' who did not pull the DNO fuse him/herself - I would think that DNOs would go crazy if they had to attend (once or twice) every meter replacement :)

Kind Regards, John

That consumer unit needs replacing - and by replacing, just the main switch and case.
It's a set of very recent Wylex RCBOs, which have inexplicably been shoved into a manky 20+ year old legrand plastic consumer unit.

The timeswitch and other items could do with removing, if you want to use cheaper electricity for the EV overnight or whenever then a smart meter is a far better choice than the old E7 arrangements.

Cutout could do with replacing as well, as it's an old phenolic type and is in 2 separate parts.

All interesting stuff!

I actually know the history of the consumer unit. About every six months the old setup used to ‘nuisance trip’ and almost unbelievably this twice coincided with our holidays...A friend of a friend (who is an electrician) fitted all the RCBOs at what seemed like a very reasonable price, thus solving the problem - and identifying a few dodgy devices since then. It seems to do the job - is there some specific danger here?

As others have implied, I think it is likely that the EV people will want to put a small CU in so I suppose that is why they want an isolator.

It sounds like I need to go to the DNO first and then the supplier, before finally going back to the EV Charger people.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back