Electric meter being upgraded by DNO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I received a letter a few days ago saying that my meter was due to be replaced in the next few weeks. Is it/would it be possible to have an isolator fitted by the guy when he does the work so I could isolate the supply for say, replacing my CU in future without having to 'pull the main fuse' etc?

As the meter is being upgraded for free would an isolator be fitted for free too (I've read before on here that some DNO's fit them for free when replacing meters)

Apologies if I'm being a bit cheeky but I suppose it's worth asking.

:confused:

Sponsored Links
i was in a house and a bloke from siemens came along (i was there socialy) he was in and out in 15 minutes he did have time to say he has to get as many as he can done in a day , but he doesnt get paid / change, so i think the answer is no, and if thats all he is doing all day, he probably has a van full of meters nothing else (may be he has room for his sandwhiches though)

Sponsored Links
15 minutes!!!!!!!!!
Must of been an awkward job :LOL:

I get a set amount of work for the day.
I'ts just cahanged so now to get my pay rise at the end of the year I need to complete 10 jobs a day.
So if I'm issued 12 jobs and 3 are out I'm knackered.

Don't know how it works around your area but would say if the person that comes to your house has made his targets, and it's not too late in the day, coffee tastes nice, your nice to them and like me their nice and helpful :LOL: then they will have an isolator on the van.

i must point out, it wasnt my house, i was just talking to him (which is why he was there 15 mins)

lol to be honest average job time for me is about 15min.
Although I have just spent a good 45mins on a job today where the meter was up against a high ceiling, and had VIR from the cutout to the meter which meant me running up and down my ladders with some 25mm.
Other than that there usually easy :)

I'm in Kent and had a similar notice a while back from EDF (I think they are the DNO in Essex too?)

Apart from not turning up on the first date I gave :evil: they also said they couldn't fit an isolator and that I should contact an electrician.

The guy who came out to do it took about 20 minutes and 'tested' it by plugging in an el cheapo socket tester into one socket and checking that all 3 lights came on.

Bizarrely they also seem to have fitted an older style meter (Economy 7) than the one that was in place - back from digital to analogue readings. I was a little surprised since the house was only built in 1989 but seems they don't make them like they used to!

Gavin

Apart from the no show everything sounds bout right to me?

There are only certain testers that we are allowed to use that being one of them.

And the new meter was probably a refurbished one and we can only fit whats available to us at the time.

p.s isolator doesn't sound right either was prob being lazy :)

'tested' it by plugging in an el cheapo socket tester into one socket and checking that all 3 lights came on.

That's the first test that the guy did after he replaced my Cutout on Monday. I was quite surprised that he didn't do an earth test, seeing as he told me there wasn't a proper Main Earth into my property because of the badly fitted old cutout.

Good job I didn't say anything coz he then went and grabbed his meter, plugged it into a socket, did a test then asked his mate "what was the normal reading - 1.5". His mate replied "yes" then he told me that the earth was fine now as he was getting a reading of 1.2.

What readings they were I don't know, could it be the total resistance/impedance of the Earth feed ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back