EV charger - specifics included

No such thing, the scheme provider can be a go between between the electrician and LABC, but not one can replace the LABC.
I’ve used them for several building regulations related projects. They report in to the council on what they’re approving but they come out and do the checks, not the council.

Sponsored Links
I’ve used them for several building regulations related projects. They report in to the council on what they’re approving but they come out and do the checks, not the council.
Then they must have their own electricians. The organisation, or the individual electricians must be registered with one of the competent person schemes.
Such as NICEIC, NAPIT, etc.
They should be listed HERE

No such thing, the scheme provider can be a go between between the electrician and LABC, but not one can replace the LABC.
There certainly is:
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/ap...uilding-control/approved-inspectors-directory
eg:

I used a builder for a project that required the involvement of the LABC, only to find out they were simply not registering the work, when they walked out on the job and I went to the LABC to transfer who was doing the work, I then found they had not registered the work, and the LABC said it is the owner who is responsible, the builder may do it for the owner, but the owner is responsible for ensuring they do. The one exception is the electrical scheme membership, if the electrician shows the name of the scheme provider on his van, web site, paperwork etc, then should he not be a member, he has broken the law, not the owner.

So electrics can have either a completion certificate, or a compliance certificate together with the installation certificate, all other building work will have a completion certificate, some times you will get both, where the LABC has not certified the electrics but has signed off on other building work.

Scheme members are often limited as to what work they can sign off within their scheme membership, it is common for the electrical installation condition report to not be covered under the scheme membership, that is really the odd one out where by law the owner may need an EICR but the person doing the report is not controlled by any law as to his ability to write the report other than trading standards.

I am not sure about HSE, I know most places are covered by the electricity at work act, and the Part P building regulations were designed to plug the hole where some premises never have anyone who is at work visit them, in my own house and garden there is access for postman, ambulance services, milkman, etc to top of the house, but at the bottom we could have no one who is at work, actually a guy comes and mows my lawn, but other than him there is no reason for anyone to enter the home through the lower driveway, so if I have a EV charge point at bottom driveway, electricity at work act would not cover.

However since I live in Wales, Part P does cover any work in the garden as garden is a special location, so no getting around it for me.

And this is the point, what you are doing is trying to get around the regulations, the way you should do it, is get the electrician first, and ask him what you can do for him, I know it seems like the same thing, but he is in control not you, you are being employed by him to do the work.

I know there have been some changes with EV charging points which come in end of this month, I have not looked to see what they are, I do know there has been a lot of debate over using supply voltage to ensure loss of PEN is detected, with a three phase supply auto disconnection if any phase is not 207 to 253 volt will ensure no more than 70 volt to earth, but this is not the case with a single phase supply. The hope is that it will trip before anyone touches the vehicle, but it may not do it within the specified time, I think to have a loss of PEN and before the EV charging point tripped you touch the vehicle is unlikely. We are told 300 reported per year with 10% causing injury, but as EV charging points and hot tubs get more popular, the numbers are likely to climb.

I personally think TN-C-S should have never been allowed, but we now have it, and we need to find safe ways to use it. Sorry seems I am wrong, just read @davelx post however I seem to have read how Stroma was involved with the pembrokeshire trading standard EICR court case, and how they are no more, so the link it seems needs updating.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I had a fuse upgrade from UKPN but they insisted that the meter be upgraded before they would do it. If you have a 100A capable meter and CU plus 25mm tails you should be fine for a 100A fuse. The actual upgrade was free but they said before they came that I might have to settle for an 80A fuse - they would decide on the day. All to do with loading in the area, I think.

I Sorry seems I am wrong, just read @davelx post however I seem to have read how Stroma was involved with the pembrokeshire trading standard EICR court case, and how they are no more, so the link it seems needs updating.
Stroma's web site is still active and appears up-to-date, which suggests they still exist!

I used a builder for a project that required the involvement of the LABC, only to find out they were simply not registering the work, when they walked out on the job and I went to the LABC to transfer who was doing the work, I then found they had not registered the work, and the LABC said it is the owner who is responsible, the builder may do it for the owner, but the owner is responsible for ensuring they do. The one exception is the electrical scheme membership, if the electrician shows the name of the scheme provider on his van, web site, paperwork etc, then should he not be a member, he has broken the law, not the owner.

So electrics can have either a completion certificate, or a compliance certificate together with the installation certificate, all other building work will have a completion certificate, some times you will get both, where the LABC has not certified the electrics but has signed off on other building work.

Scheme members are often limited as to what work they can sign off within their scheme membership, it is common for the electrical installation condition report to not be covered under the scheme membership, that is really the odd one out where by law the owner may need an EICR but the person doing the report is not controlled by any law as to his ability to write the report other than trading standards.

I am not sure about HSE, I know most places are covered by the electricity at work act, and the Part P building regulations were designed to plug the hole where some premises never have anyone who is at work visit them, in my own house and garden there is access for postman, ambulance services, milkman, etc to top of the house, but at the bottom we could have no one who is at work, actually a guy comes and mows my lawn, but other than him there is no reason for anyone to enter the home through the lower driveway, so if I have a EV charge point at bottom driveway, electricity at work act would not cover.

However since I live in Wales, Part P does cover any work in the garden as garden is a special location, so no getting around it for me.

And this is the point, what you are doing is trying to get around the regulations, the way you should do it, is get the electrician first, and ask him what you can do for him, I know it seems like the same thing, but he is in control not you, you are being employed by him to do the work.

I know there have been some changes with EV charging points which come in end of this month, I have not looked to see what they are, I do know there has been a lot of debate over using supply voltage to ensure loss of PEN is detected, with a three phase supply auto disconnection if any phase is not 207 to 253 volt will ensure no more than 70 volt to earth, but this is not the case with a single phase supply. The hope is that it will trip before anyone touches the vehicle, but it may not do it within the specified time, I think to have a loss of PEN and before the EV charging point tripped you touch the vehicle is unlikely. We are told 300 reported per year with 10% causing injury, but as EV charging points and hot tubs get more popular, the numbers are likely to climb.

I personally think TN-C-S should have never been allowed, but we now have it, and we need to find safe ways to use it. Sorry seems I am wrong, just read @davelx post however I seem to have read how Stroma was involved with the pembrokeshire trading standard EICR court case, and how they are no more, so the link it seems needs updating.
Sounds like you had a bad experience. I've been dealing directly with the private firm and they've sent confirmations out of the registration of the work and acceptance of it. They've been around a good while and the main guy that does the inspections used to work at the council.

I've not had any electrical work certified by them yet so could well run into that problem unless the electrician I use is able to self certify. I'm not trying to get round the regs intentionally, just trying to do it as cost effective as possible :) I'm keen that everything is done to standard.

How is it that people are getting hurt? I assumed the connection would all be fine and appropriate fail safes built in? Is it potentially cowboy electricians not doing things properly?

No the problem is a TN-C-S supply some where uses the same wire for both earth and neutral, they are separated before your head, but if the combined wire called the PEN breaks, in your house there is no danger, in the same way as a bird can sit on an electric wire, as whole house bonded and with a standard brick built house, only problem is the voltage can vary, and damage equipment, but it will not hurt anyone.

However with a caravan or a boat, you have a metal out side, so use of a TN-C-S supply is banned for boats and caravans, also petrol stations, so the car is just like a caravan, and one would think also banned to charge a car outside, no problem if the car is in a garage, but this would mean you can't fit an EV charging point to most homes.

So 722.411.4.1 starts off with A PME earthing facility shall not be used as the means of earthing for the protective conductor contact of a charging point located outdoors or that might reasonably be expected to be used to charge a vehicle located outdoors unless one of the following methods is used:

There are in theory 5 options, (iv) is the one where it monitors the voltage to see if between 207 to 253 RMS. But I am reading from amendment 1 2020, I think now we have amendment 2, which is stricter.

I think it comes in at end of this month, but I have no intention of going out and buying the book.

To be frank I think 70 volt is too high, should be 50 volt as it always was. Getting a shock from a 110 volt supply which is 55 volt to earth is quite bad enough,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back