EV Charging

Further to my last, the Chancellor has announced that EV owners will no longer be able to avoid Road Tax.
I imagine that there will be some rather upset EV owners!
Next step: great increases in electricity prices...
I would hope other EV drivers wouldn't be too upset - I'm certainly not - it was a nice marginal benefit, but it's trivial compared to the other advantages of driving an EV...

Sponsored Links
I would hope other EV drivers wouldn't be too upset - I'm certainly not - it was a nice marginal benefit, but it's trivial compared to the other advantages of driving an EV...
Not bothered, it will still be lots cheaper than my last SUV 4x4. Bear in mind if he is going to charge EV drivers he will need to realign charges for all. My granddaughters C1 is currently free so that will change too and I dare say that lots of other vehicle owners may be worried about what’s in store for them!

Fellas,
Thanks for all replies and opinions.
For what its worth, I do not believe in this green agenda crap for one minute,
I think it is going to be a complete 100% disaster.
But I am still not missing the boat.

At the risk of being wrong, I predict that ICE cars will not be banned in 2030!
I'm 70 and my wife is 61, and I'm absolutely sure that both of us will still be driving our ICE car, or a like replacement, long after 2030.
0% risk of being wrong, nobody who is near being in power is proposing banning ICE cars. What is being proposed is to ban the sale of new ICE-only cars and vans from 2030. This might be pushing at an open door, not sure how many ICE-only models will still be on sale by then.
So you will still be able to buy a plug-in hybrid and ignore the plug-in bit, if that suits you.

"Ban the sale of" is not the same as "ban the use of".
"Ban the sale of new" is not the same as "ban the sale of".

Sponsored Links
0% risk of being wrong, nobody who is near being in power is proposing banning ICE cars. What is being proposed is to ban the sale of new ICE-only cars and vans from 2030. This might be pushing at an open door, not sure how many ICE-only models will still be on sale by then.
So you will still be able to buy a plug-in hybrid and ignore the plug-in bit, if that suits you.

"Ban the sale of" is not the same as "ban the use of".
"Ban the sale of new" is not the same as "ban the sale of".
Yes, of course you're correct. I should have been more clear and said that I believe that the sale of ICE cars will probably not be banned in 2030 and, for that matter, the sale of hybrids will not be banned in 2035.
Putting it another way, most motorists in this country will not want to buy EVs beyond 2030 for the several reasons given, especially those whose needs extend beyond driving only locally.
I'm sure that EVs, even with seven years of possible improvement, will still not have the range needed by many. Neither will people want to replace them after 4 or 5 years because the battery is becoming too weak, especially in the winter, when their used value has dropped enormously and purchase prices are so high.
Do you really think that the electricity supply network, and its generation of course, will have improved sufficiently in seven years that there will be an adequate supply for millions of motorists throughout the country to charge their cars all at once?
No good arguing, of course, but we'll have to wait and see who was right!

Yes, of course you're correct. I should have been more clear and said that I believe that the sale of ICE cars will probably not be banned in 2030 and, for that matter, the sale of hybrids will not be banned in 2035.
Putting it another way, most motorists in this country will not want to buy EVs beyond 2030 for the several reasons given, especially those whose needs extend beyond driving only locally.
I'm sure that EVs, even with seven years of possible improvement, will still not have the range needed by many. Neither will people want to replace them after 4 or 5 years because the battery is becoming too weak, especially in the winter, when their used value has dropped enormously and purchase prices are so high.
Do you really think that the electricity supply network, and its generation of course, will have improved sufficiently in seven years that there will be an adequate supply for millions of motorists throughout the country to charge their cars all at once?
No good arguing, of course, but we'll have to wait and see who was right!
...some of your facts need updating here -
-EV's already have the range needed by many, unless many people need to drive well over 500 miles a day without stopping...
-I've never heard of anyone replacing their drive batteries after 4 or 5 years (have you?), and batteries continue to improve in both capacity and longevity.
-Used EV prices are still (absurdly) high.
-It's very very unlikely that EV's will be charged all at once - the spread of innovative tariffs suggests that flexible time charging such as Intelligent Octopus is likely to increasingly spread the charging load, whilst increased V2G is starting to help to balance the grid, rather than destabilise it.

...some of your facts need updating here -
-EV's already have the range needed by many, unless many people need to drive well over 500 miles a day without stopping...
-I've never heard of anyone replacing their drive batteries after 4 or 5 years (have you?), and batteries continue to improve in both capacity and longevity.
-Used EV prices are still (absurdly) high.
-It's very very unlikely that EV's will be charged all at once - the spread of innovative tariffs suggests that flexible time charging such as Intelligent Octopus is likely to increasingly spread the charging load, whilst increased V2G is starting to help to balance the grid, rather than destabilise it.
Fair enough. I'm sure our opinions are not likely to agree. Time will tell.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back