Discreet EV charging point?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As part of a renovation and extension is seems like an idea to install an ev charging point or two in appropriate locations.

In my mind as these cars become more and more common, doing it now rather than a retrofitting them will make for a tidier job and a bit of future proofing.

Are the EV pods the size they are because they are essentially a retrofit? They seem to have their own breaker housed within the pod.

upload_2017-7-13_14-46-34.png

Is it the pod that regulates any of the charging or the car? I would have assumed the latter.

Therefore, can a charging point consist of one or two discreet 32A IP rated round pin sockets housed in something more discreet or even recessed into the brickwork?

upload_2017-7-13_14-46-45.jpeg

Sponsored Links
you can use a meter box on the outside of the house, no-one will think anything of it. If you put a notch in the bottom you could lead the cables out while it is shut. You can get non-standard latches for them that an ordinary triangular key does not fit.

There are several different standards of charge point. Single phase, 3 phase and DC. You need the correct one for your car (which you don't have yet).

Interesting, I thought a standard had emerged for the mass produced sector, not tesla etc. Would the home user only have the choice of single phase and/or DC?

I also thought, apart from Tesla, there had been a standardised socket design.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Interesting, I thought a standard had emerged for the mass produced sector, not tesla etc. Would the home user only have the choice of single phase and/or DC?

Don't know. This is the 3 phase one used on many on street charging points.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_2_connector

My missis has a G Wizz which charges at home on a 13 amp socket in the porch, and on street using one phase of the above socket system.

Is it the pod that regulates any of the charging or the car?
Both, so just having a power outlet on the wall will not be possible.

Even if charging was from a 32A outlet, that is still a fail because a socket on the wall would require a separate power cable, or a cable attached to the car.

Both, so just having a power outlet on the wall will not be possible.

Even if charging was from a 32A outlet, that is still a fail because a socket on the wall would require a separate power cable, or a cable attached to the car.

eh?

My missis has a G Wizz which charges at home on a 13 amp socket in the porch, and on street using one phase of the above socket system.

so surely any socket will do. Otherwise, if you drove to a friend's house, you might run down the battery and have to push it home.

So I guess the best method for "future proofing" is to ensure there is a supply (with the correct cable thickness for an EV charge point) to the ideal location for an ev point and install a blanking plate (or even a socket) protected by a weather proof IP rated housing. Then if and (probably) when EV becomes the norm, it is available to fit the requisite EV pod.

... and how much your smart meter will charge you for it - if there is enough electricity to go round.

You can't future proof anything for long.

As others have said, if you dont even have the car forget about it. A much better use of your time would be to consider laying a new landing pad for when you get your spaceship in 2075.

Grand Designs used to be full of "future proofing" done by the designer and mainly consisted of cat 5 cables buried in walls. 10 years later different technology will exist

The best futureproofing is a duct with easy access.

I imagine it'll get to the point where new nuclear plants will have to be forced through planning, regardless of opposition...... it would be nice to think that by that time we would have a smart grid of devices that than talk and dynamic pricing to flatten out the peaks in the demand to allow nucleaer to meet the base demand, and also to allow available renewables to be taken advantage of when they are available. however I am very doubtful of this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back