One of our neighbours/friends is looking to get an EV charge point installed and was asking me what might be needed, and I have to confess it's not a subject I've ever looked at. But what was obvious on both our house and theirs is the supply fuse is 60A, and when I look at articles regarding EV points, it often suggests taking that up to 100A which seems fairly beefy - and a potential bill from the DNO (Northern Powergrid in our case).
I don't know anything about the peak/ave load figures for their property at this point in time, but I have had a quick look around and both bathroom showers are mixers off a combi, so there is just an electric oven (hob is gas), washing machine and a tumble dryer as significant loads. So I'm kinda thinking that the EV charger is the equivalent of just adding an electric shower, and that doesn't feel excessive and maybe a 60A is still fine in this case. Obviously if there was an electric shower as well as the charger, then the need to go up from 60A is much clearer.
Does this feel about right based on the limited info I've provided?
Thanks.
I don't know anything about the peak/ave load figures for their property at this point in time, but I have had a quick look around and both bathroom showers are mixers off a combi, so there is just an electric oven (hob is gas), washing machine and a tumble dryer as significant loads. So I'm kinda thinking that the EV charger is the equivalent of just adding an electric shower, and that doesn't feel excessive and maybe a 60A is still fine in this case. Obviously if there was an electric shower as well as the charger, then the need to go up from 60A is much clearer.
Does this feel about right based on the limited info I've provided?
Thanks.



