Evenly Spacing Dense Blocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi;

I am building a small shed / workshop here.

Question. When laying out the blocks do I need to stagger the second course evenly over the first. Or as long as the blocks are slightly staggered is that OK?

I am restricted to size and again due to border restrictions the shape is not a squared rectangle. I have read that if there is a gap to be filled part blocks should not be less than 1/2 so two blocks should be cut to bridge the gap?

I am only going up to 1m or so, about 4 courses from the footings.

Also how long do I need to leave the footing before building on them. Two of the three are ready (been laid for a week) and due to to a change of plan the third was laid yesterday afternoon.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
On concrete footings you can start building as soon as it is set - It will be gaining strength all the time as you get higher. Laying bricks or blocks the minimum size for cuts and overlaps should be 1/4 of the block/brick but for work you can see two neatly cut bricks/blocks will look better than a full block and a small cut.

On concrete footings you can start building as soon as it is set - It will be gaining strength all the time as you get higher. Laying bricks or blocks the minimum size for cuts and overlaps should be 1/4 of the block/brick but for work you can see two neatly cut bricks/blocks will look better than a full block and a small cut.

I am probably going to render externally but my plan would be to try and lay the blocks out to avoid as much cutting as possible and as you stated, ensuring that no part block is less than 1/4. In doing so they will not be evenly spaced above the joins below?

Sponsored Links
You just need to avoid perpendicular joints lining up on any two courses, a 1/2 overlap is ideal but a 1/4 is acceptable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back