Excessive repair costs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_6059.jpeg

Our hire Van went back recently and we were expecting a decent bill for this dent.

I'd say there's a £1-2k worth of damage here. Had the estimate through....

£7.2k......are they just buying a new van???

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Need another picture from a bit further out.

What van is it ?

You don't get much bodywork let alone painting done, or any panels and straightening for £2k

Sponsored Links
Dent is on two panels where they join.

Underneath the black trim is bent as well.

Inside not too much.

Main damage is what you can see.

Dent is on two panels where they join.

Underneath the black trim is bent as well.

Inside not too much.

Main damage is what you can see.
It's what you can't see that matters too.

Is there a structural post where the 2 panels join etc.

Impossible to say anything from your pictures

Body repair shops can charge whatever they like......the sum won't be challenged by the hire vehicle's insurers. Hire vans have been written off with less damage than this.
It is quite a complex repair due to the crease on the seam but nothing outrageous.
I know it doesn't apply here, but if the van was personally owned and you could find an independent body shop (that accepts non insured claims) the repair costs would be significantly less. As it's a hire vehicle then you don't have that option.
John :)

Body repair shops can charge whatever they like......the sum won't be challenged by the hire vehicle's insurers. Hire vans have been written off with less damage than this.
It is quite a complex repair due to the crease on the seam but nothing outrageous.
I know it doesn't apply here, but if the van was personally owned and you could find an independent body shop (that accepts non insured claims) the repair costs would be significantly less. As it's a hire vehicle then you don't have that option.
All fair points.

But even a light bump up the back sorted via insurance company fighting for low prices will often exceed £2k..

This is likely more involved than that .

Definitely!
Fortunately I have an excellent body repair shop near me who will either go through insurers or cash, so on the odd time I've had to use them it's cash, up to say around £750 or so.

Definitely!
Fortunately I have an excellent body repair shop near me who will either go through insurers or cash, so on the odd time I've had to use them it's cash, up to say around £750 or so.
Yeah we've got one down the road who is a 1/5 the price of everywhere else

But it needed to go to the hire company supplier

Sponsored Links
Back