Minor cosmetic repair - bumper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I'd appreciate some help please.

We have a very minor indentation on our rear bumper. There's no scratch or paintwork damage, just a small dip that you can feel when you run your fingers over it. It is not very noticeable but you can see it (and of course when you know it's there you see it more!)

Anyway - I know I could take it to get repaired and get charged a lot for that but is there a home / DIY repair that can be done that people know?

I've heard that sometimes putting hot water on can make it 'pop back' but wondered what other people thought. Anyone tried this or something else?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
It is true - heat can make a plastic bumper reform miraculously, but only if you know what you are doing. Hot water isn't enough, and a heat gun carefully used is the order of the day.
Do consider a 'smart' repair......it may be cheaper than you think! Body repair shops often have their own people, or sub contract firms in.
John :)

What kind of car is it and how old? Do you expect a perfect repair or good enough? Heat is normally the way to do it, careful use of a heat gun but there are risks.

2 replies in agreement! You don't get that in many parts of this forum!

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, much appreciated.

It is a 3 year old Audi. Interesting on the heat gun, although I worry about that a little!

Must confess I'd not heard about 'smart' repairs - what exactly is that please?

Either mobile smart repairs who come to you or you visit a body shop or similar and they get a mobile fitter in to do it. Prolly £60 or something or less maybe if a knowledgeable application of heat is all that's required. Just google smart repairs in your area.

On a 3 year old Audi I'd say definitely get it done professionally (you'll hear the sharp intake of breath come trade in time at 100 yards if you don't) :eek:
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back