Small prang....best resolution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a moral quandary question,

I had a guy roll into the back of me last week. Totally his fault. I came to a stop at a roundabout. Then looked in my mirror and had time to the the guy roll towards me, wondering why he was not slowing more.

The impact actually sounded and felt worse than it turned out to be. It felt like the bumper would be caved in or something. But there just seemed to be scuffing/paint transfer on my bumper and his combined bumper/grill had cracked and broken. It seems his grill must have absorbed most of the impact.

It was in the dark and raining but he said he wasn't going to claim for his damage. I said I would have to wait to check if there was any hidden damage I could not see behind the bumper. But, we exchanged details as you would expect and left with the handshake agreement of some kind of private arrangement if it came to any minor repairs.

Fast forward a bit, and I took it to my garage for a precautionary check....and it turns out there is no damage....nothing structural or something that would require parts. So I do not intend to make an insurance claim.

After a wash and a buff of the affected area, while a good deal of the transferred plastic black scuff marks came off, there are still some scratches/marks left.

Would most here think it appropriate I come to an arrangement for him to pay for the affected area to get a professional polish/buff repair + the travel costs to may garage etc (about 60 miles after all the travel).

The car is only 4 years old and in good condition, so it's not like it is an old shed with a lot of existing damage.

Just wondering what most would deem appropriate with this kind of thing.

Taa

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Get a quote first, if the garage thinks someone else is paying they may be tempted to charge insurance rates, so say its for you.

Blup

It sounds like it could be a job for Chipsaway or similar, but get a quote first and then agree with the other party, send him a copy of the quote.
A gentleman's agreement is always the best solution here.
John :)

Gentlemans agreements with accidents are always on dodgy ground.
Id want him to pay for the work personally but good luck with that, you may never hear from him again.
Its not uncommon for them to blame the accident on you either so just take care.

Sponsored Links
Get the work done for the sake of the car; if you have several quotes, you have covered yourself, just go ahead if he ignores you or plays silly bu**ers.

Blup

I've been through this, albeit a while back, though we initially exchanged insurance details and I did begin a claim on the insurance we did agree at the scene that if the costs to me were not too extravagant they would pay for the damage to my car and to not go through insurance. I got two quotes to which she thought both were too expensive so tried calling my bluff. I merely left it and said I'd let the insurance companies battle it out (I was in a stationary car in a traffic queue and she reversed her car out of her drive into me). She called up a few days later to ask for my address so she could send me a cheque, I dropped the claim at my insurance company.

Get a quote for the repairs, if the other person wants to pay it then they pay the garage direct and then you have the repairs done.
If not, then claim via insurance.

Yeh, in this instance, he has already admitted fault. He has already made his insurance company aware., who have been badgering me to follow up.

But, I'm not making a claim if it's minor, even though I'm sure a lot of people would rinse as much out of the insurance as they could. I have some principles :LOL:. But as you say, I guess I always have that option if needed.

I'm even feeling bad about asking him to pay for scuffs and travel costs :ROFLMAO:. Which is why I was asking on here....to see how bothered people would be about scuffs and scratches.

I am correct aren't I that even a claim that is not my fault would affect my future premium wouldn't it? ....The bastards....

my wife had this happen a while back , and they agreed no need to go through insurance as no real damage - on cars - just paint that came off, and both verbally agreed to ignore -
THEN
we had a letter from the insurance company a year later that we were to be taken to court for damage of £3,500 !!!!!!!!!!
apparently he did claim via his insurance and insurance co was NOT or Lost initial notice of claim !!!!!!

a lot of letters / exchange - insurance settled rather than court and even with NC protection insurance went up ........
so beware

FYI - i made a claim this year and my multicar insurance has just gone up £400+ and thats the cheapest i can find - so much for NCD protection

He has already made his insurance company aware
and said it was hes fault !!!!!! .... or - just a claim

Last edited:
I had an accident back in 1980, over a T junction and the car in front had stopped halfway across. I hit their left rear, indicator still worked as they pulled over although the lens was smashed. I offered to pay rather than insurance, parts £36, thought it would be £40/50 for their trouble. They claimed whiplash and over £500 damage. Informed insurance company about the extent of the damage and they investigated.

Other driver was found guilty of fraud having already been paid out for a previous accident that rippled their boot floor.

I would never agree to a “gentleman's” agreement, once bitten, twice shy.

and said it was hes fault !!!!!! .... or - just a claim
Looking at the wording of the text, his insurance are bending over backwards to help me. So it reads as if they are accepting fault.

But, as you say....people can be deceptive....so I would have to speak to them [their insurers]. Which I have not bothered to do thus far.

shame he did that , i would claim a get damage sorted , as even a NFC may put your premium up next year , so have a fully repaired car
BUT all these claims put insurance up anyway ... significantly it seems this year looking at the comparison sites - even without the claim mentioned this year my insurance went up £200 (on 2 cars multicar , then added the claim and boom

Surely I have to accept to proceed? Even if he told his insurance about the prang.

If I don't go through the insurers it would not be classed as a NFC, surely.

he has told the insurance company , that you have been involved in an accident, so you have to tell your insurance company of any incidents and any future insurance.
i also think this info is shared across insurance compnaies anyway

NOT and expert by any means , just reading the T&C's which i have been recently as looking at renewals this week

Yes, it is my understanding that you have to tell your insurance company no matter what, which he has done (and you should too). And was why I did it back in the day. If you and they then decide the matter has been dealt with privately that is no business of the insurers and the claims will merely get dropped although presumably logged on the system with no further action. As to whether they effect each of your insurance premiums in the future is anyone's guess, I suppose they will in this day and age!

Sponsored Links
Back