Small prang....best resolution?

Looking at the wording of the text, his insurance are bending over backwards to help me. So it reads as if they are accepting fault.

But, as you say....people can be deceptive....so I would have to speak to them [their insurers]. Which I have not bothered to do thus far.
His insurer will no doubt want to deal direct with you, rather than you use an accident management company which will make the claim way more expensive,

Sponsored Links
Yeh, I thought that too @freddiemercurystwin , Having said that, I have not made my insurers aware yet....but only because due to being busy and wanted to get it checked by my garage first.

I thought the insurance companies may get made aware, but only likely to affect premiums if actioned as a formal claim, regardless of the fault status.

But as you say, who knows if it still affects premiums.

If agreed privately...and not through the insurance....would you still mention it when looking for quote comparisons? I assume not.

From a comparison site FAQ

"If the damage is minor or only superficial, you might decide that it’s not worth making an insurance claim and pay for any repairs yourself. That’s because making an accident claim on your own insurance will result in you losing any no claims discount you receive, making your premiums more expensive next time round."

So it suggests it's only if you proceed with a no-fault claim.

If agreed privately...and not through the insurance....would you still mention it when looking for quote comparisons? I assume not.
No I would not and I specifically remeber that when I had my incident my insuarnace company specifically stated that if I wished to drop the claim (which I subsequently did) then that would be it, no further questions, none of their business. Frankly I would find your excuse as to why you didn't report it immediately (as I think we can agree you should have) is implausible.

Sponsored Links
Your "bumper" has stuffed you! The question on your renewal will be "any ACCIDENTS, claims or convictions" and your answer is yes. This is what will potentially load your premium.

I had one recently, young lad in Wickes car park, I just came out and caught him in the act, otherwise no doubt he would have driven off. He shat himself, said it was his bosses van but he was insured on his own car policy to drive other vehicles, he would pay for the damage etc. I told him to call his boss, the damage to mine was minor - cracked reflector, paint transfer and light scratches to the paint:

Screenshot_20231103-085754.png

The boss arrived, said the lad was insured on the van (I didn't get to the bottom of that), but was keen to settle in cash - I said my mum had a similar scuff fixed recently at a paint and chips place for £180. He offered me £200 which I accepted - £25 for the reflector, most of the black scrubbed off and the change has gone into the cars "depreciation folder"

I was relieved as an insurance claim is complete hassle and I don't need to worry about the big question come renewal.

I was surprised at the damage to his van - as the boss said - it's the most expensive bag of cement he's ever bought!

IMG_20230928_083303067.jpg

Your "bumper" has stuffed you! The question on your renewal will be "any ACCIDENTS, claims or convictions" and your answer is yes. This is what will potentially load your premium.
I think it will say 'incidents whether your fault or not'. The year before last, someone crashed into the back of our Audi while it was stationary. Their insurance paid for the repair. Literally the day after I got it back, my son’s neighbour reversed out of her drive right into the side of it. Again, her insurance company paid for the repairs. I notified our insurance company on both occasions and they went down as a no fault, no claim 'incident' and I can’t say that I noticed any increase of premium the following year other than a small inflationary rise.

And yet they want to know.

We would say complete bad luck, the insurance company will have identified your wife's propensity to stop and park in dangerous places - it will go into an algorithm with millions of other stats and adjust the risk profiles - it may have coincided with another significant event, eg a milestone birthday that balanced it out.

I keep telling my insurance company that with 35 years NCB I shouldn't be paying more than £20 a year but they won't listen; they'll probably say at my age I'm losing my sight and reactions and an accident is only a matter of time, especially if they find out I like to park next to dodgy builder's vans at Wickes.

Yeh, in this instance, he has already admitted fault. He has already made his insurance company aware., who have been badgering me to follow up.

But, I'm not making a claim if it's minor, even though I'm sure a lot of people would rinse as much out of the insurance as they could. I have some principles :LOL:. But as you say, I guess I always have that option if needed.

I'm even feeling bad about asking him to pay for scuffs and travel costs :ROFLMAO:. Which is why I was asking on here....to see how bothered people would be about scuffs and scratches.

I am correct aren't I that even a claim that is not my fault would affect my future premium wouldn't it? ....The bastardsY

You may have principals but your insurance company doesn't have any. When I had a no fault clout a while back, a barrier fell on my car during a bit of wind in a parking lot, the parking lot owners paid for the repair via their insurance and my insurance got loaded even though I hadn't claimed anything. And it affects future premiums for 5 years. As you say ....scamming bastards.

Out of interest.....what would one expect to be paying for small scrapes and paint transfer on a bumper for repair. And I mean light, some white showing, but certainly not deep gouges.

We paid £180 for a scrape down to the white on bumper and adjacent panel - at a paint and chips place. I couldn't tell afterwards (9 year old fiesta). We traded it in recently and of the 5 showrooms we obtained part ex valuations only one mentioned it had had some paint.

I dropped the claim at my insurance company.
Take note though, that it's now recoded on a database that you were involved in an accident that must be declared for the next five years. It matter not that it was not claimed for/pursued all the way to a pay out, or that the third party hit you; your risk factor has risen because you evidently take your car to places* where it is more likely to be involved in an accident, and this can impact your future premiums. failing to declare the accident could void your insurance

*yes, roads. Sad but true; they get you both ways. A past partner lived in an affluent low crime area but paid more for their insurance than they would have in the fraud infested hellhole in which I lived - "most accidents are near home and that means they're more likely to bang an expensive car in that area" was the reasoning from the insurer

so much for NCD protection
NCD gives you a discount on your base premium. If your base premium is 500 and your NCD is 50% then you pay 250. If you're involved in an accident and your base premium rises to 1000, but your NCD was protected then you still have your 50% discount on the 1000, but it means you now pay 500 instead of 250

If you don't have NCD protection and your discount reduces (it normally takes a few accidents to lose it completely) to say 20%, then you pay 800

Last edited:
No I would not and I specifically remeber that when I had my incident my insuarnace company specifically stated that if I wished to drop the claim (which I subsequently did) then that would be it, no further questions, none of their business.
I got knocked off my motorbike once, hit from behind while stationary. I reported it to my insurance company, as did the driver that hit me. Long story short, the person that hit me decided not to go through his insurance and paid me in cash for the damage. Three years later I’d forgotten all about it and was getting quotes for my daughter’s insurance. I always added myself and my wife to the policy as named drivers as it kept the price down. I got a price online, proceeded to pay and it wouldn’t go through. I phoned up to ask why and I was told it was because I hadn't declared the incident on the application. They told me the date, put it down as a no-claim incident….and charged an extra amount for the policy! Can't remember exactly how much but I think it was about £25.

So, out of interest, what would most do in this situation.

It was dark and wet, and he stated he was not intending to claim on his insurance for his own minor damage. While mine looked minor at a glance in the dark, I said I would have to get it checked to ensure there was no hidden damage before making a decision. At a good initial glance it did not look like there was from what I could see.

The only other thing that made me think I needed it to be checked further, was that the impact sounded far worse than any of the damage turned out to be (potentially because his grill took the brunt).

As he said he was not intending to make a claim, I was surprised his insurance was trying to contact me the next morning, so he at least told them of the incident....which...I guess, forced me to make my insurance aware, even if I was not making a claim either.

so

a) Would you have done the same as above, and told your insurance that an incident took place, even if minor.
b) Gentleman's agreement at the time, based on the fact it seemed minor that neither of you would even contact the insurance.
c) Something else?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back