Excessive Wind

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to disappoint you, I haven't had a curry then taken a lighter to my trouser region... ;)

We had some bad winds in Stockport last night. Tree blown down in the road outside our house and we lost a buddleia (?) in the back garden plus a couple of fence panels. :cry:

Anyone else suffer?

Sponsored Links
We certainly did.

We were very lucky that our house, despite being surrounded by some high trees, seems to have escaped unscathed, although a tree just down our road blew down across the road. I was wondering why there was a queue of traffic! The only problem I encountered was our garden swing seat (with a waterproof cover) blew over and, despite my righting it again, did the same three or four more times.

My first wife, however, wasn't so fortunate. She had gone darn sarf for a meeting in London and got on the train at about 5pm hoping to get home by about 7.15. As has been reported on the news (repeatedly) there were problems on the West Coast Main Line, especially at Crewe, and she didn't get home until midnight. Virgin were very helpful, however, and not only kept the passengers informed and explained how they could claim compensation, but also handed out water and Mars bars!

The point I want to make, though, is just how useful mobile phones are in such situations. Had they not been invented I would have known nothing and would have become quite worried. Although I'm what you'd call a 'low user' - I don't walk about town with it plugged permanently into my ear as you see so many do - I've found it to be a godsend in emergencies.

Sponsored Links
We seem to be getting the wind tonight. We live on top of a hill and get battered by the wind, but I consider myself lucky, we are dry. I can handle a night or two of wind noise, it's nothing compared to having 2 foot of water in your lounge.

I did go out for a curry last night and don't know which was windier, inside or out :oops:

Centre parcs 2 days ago; afternoon storm. Pine tree snapped off at 15' up around a foot thick. 50 ' of tree landed on lodge next to ours, across our path/entrance. Fair damage to roof. In same moment another did the same at rear of lodge. This made three in total as I saw another stump from another (?) storm when we arrived. Clearly we were in a funnel of some kind. Wife and kids hid in kitchen below worktop level eating blueberries while I went outside to assess the end of the world.
Staff passing came to see if we were OK. I asked to move lodge a.s.a.p. 20 mins later we were gone! As they drove me to alt' lodge to see if it was ok- not surrounded by snapped trees, there were chainsaws everywhere!
That eve, suit from estates management turns up with bottle of good wine and chocs. Hour later lady from housekeeping delivers the same again :D
Can't really blame CP- freak weather, but they were pretty decent about it all....

Sponsored Links
Back