Exchange Bricks for Blocks?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: Hi

The specs for our extension and 3 metre porch in 2008 stated 75mm cavity with brick & block.

Due to issues with the planning dept., we now have unlimited time to finish the job,
but we hope to get it started very soon.

Because we have now decided to render the whole property, we do not need to finish in 'brick face'.

So as not to cause any more problems with the BCO I would like to get some advice about
blocks and is it possible to exchange bricks for blocks?

So just a few questions;

1) Do you know of any objection the planning dept., could make if I request to change BRICKS for BLOCKS?

2) The inner leaf specs are for regular Aerated Blocks 44 x 21.5 x 10cm. Should I suggest to
the council using Aerated Blocks for the outer skin or dense concrete blocks?

3) A large section of the roof will be moved forward - the extension section will have to
support this so would Aerated Blocks take the weight or will it be best in dense concrete
blocks (strength 7N)?

4) We also want to render because the property is exposed to the elements, do you
have to ask permission if you want to render?

Somehow I can't see how you would have to ask, but who knows anymore in this country!

Also if we use blocks the build will be cheaper and go up a lot quicker.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Stephen

Sponsored Links
1 block = 6 bricks, me personally would go for 4 Newtons above DPC then two coats of render with a waterproofer in both coats, spreads moan about the 2nd coat takes longer to go off, otherwise not a problem, the waterproofer is also a plasticiser.

NB Use only stainless steel bell cast and corner beads, I learnt the hard way.

Structurally you would be OK using any of the blocks, though aac blocks are not as good for rendering as the dense block,and they are also subject to greater shrinkage.

But in changing brick to rendered block, your planning dept might have something to say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back