exchanging old radiators for new radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello ,i am wanting to replace my old rad ,it is 745mm long but the new one i am looking at is 700mm long (b&q).How do i make the difference up to connect the pipework?I dont want to alter the way the cooper pipes come out from the wall so do they do an extendable bit that goes from the rad to the valve?

Thanks for any help received .

Paul.

Sponsored Links
yes you can get extension bars but the are quite ugly and would recomend
altering pipework where possible.

they are suitable for valves with 15mm nut and rings so you may have to change your trv or lockshield (if it has a big nut where it connects at the rad) :D

Sponsored Links
thanks for the swift replies.Yes bingo bongo mine has a big nut that would connect to the rad .I suppose i will be able to get these from the usual diy places like screwfix and b+q?

ps-what is the correct name for these extendable thingymagics please. ;)

Thanks everyone. :D

I've been changing some radiators myself recently, bought some Myson and some Quinn.The Quinn were a little more expensive, but better quality. The Myson brackets were a bit flimsy and the fixing holes too small. Also the fixing strips on the radiators required the brackets to be located quite precisely, and they were not positioned exactly as per data sheet so careful measurement was necessary. If I do any more radiator work I'll probably stick with Quinn.

plumb centre do an range of rad tail extensions in 10mm increments and City plumbing do an adjustable extension both look ok if used both ends as equally as possible.

On my desk in front of me I have a chrome fitting: 1/2 inch thread at one end and 15mm compression at the other - easily available even at B&Q.

Have not tried it but surely one can make one's own stem using this plus whatever length of 15mm pipe one required...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back