Exciting - new house - shiney new system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm moving house in a couple of weeks - the new property will be very nice but is currently a wreck :eek:

I need to get a completely new central heating system/hot water etc installed. The property is in Cornwall. There is gas in the road but this was disconnected from the property around 20 years ago (some where under the garden now!!).

In terms of what is needed - 12 radiators, 3 bathrooms (3showers/2Baths), Kitchen, Utility. I'd like it so that the pressure does not change when several taps/showers etc are used simultaneously.

What I'd like is a view on what sort of system I should be looking at? I'm obviously going to get some quotes/opnions but would like to have some idea of what system to ask for? Would a large combi cope with this? Or do I need another sort of system? Gas or oil?

Some general pointers would be really appreciated. As would any advice on other things (of which there will be many :D ) that I have missed.

Cheers for now,

Mike.

Sponsored Links
Unvented heating system with a megaflo hot water cylinder if your flow and pressure is upto it
Gas is my preference.
Pete

A big ugly storage combi might just cope, but as fluff says unvented is your best choice.

I think what they mean by "unvented" is a mains fed hot water cylinder. The Boiler would use an expansion vessel like a combi but would heat the hot cyclider indirectly to give you stored hot water for high demand situations.
I don't know why these high pressure hot cylinders are so expensive though.

Sponsored Links
High grade stainless steel, 25 year warranty, the ability to withstand high temperature/pressure combinations, compliance with G3 regs and don't forget the last bit, it's something diferent and special so we'll charge you more :LOL:

So what I'm hearing is gas is the preferred choice. (Is that Transco who connect that these days?).

To give the constant pressure I'm after I'll need a combination of boiler plus hot water storage tank to meet the demand? Do I have that correct?

Anything else I ought to be asking the plumber/Corgi guy when they come to do a quote? This will be my permanent house - not a rennovation/refurb/development so I want to make sure the job is done well and also done to last :)

Thanks for the help so far.

You will need a combi OR unvented cylinder with a heat only boiler.

You will have to decide who you want to buy your gas off, eg powergen, npower or the like, then call them up to say you want the gas connected to your property. They will then arrange TRANSCO, now National Grid, to quote you. Only you will be able to deal with them and not your CORGI ;)

So anyway, I'm now in the house and am in the process of getting quotes from a number of local plumbers - views on the system needed differ between standard gravity fed with storage tanks in loft and unvented system as suggested here.

The unvented seems to me to be the better move, what's the view on shower pressure? I'd like to have power showers but understand I can't install pumps with an unvented system. Would the megaflow (DD330E) give me as powerful as shower as a pumped version?

I'm not sure of bar at the property but flow rate is around 32litres per minute so seems to be plenty for an unvented system.

Cheers,

If this is the place where you are going to stay for good, or at least a long time, forget about getting quotes from plumbers. What will the quote tell you? only the price. Find yourself a good local chap, who comes highly recommended by local people and follow his advice on what you need.

bengasman, you are quite right I am looking for the right 'person'. So the quote process is only partly to do with price. References will be important as will getting to meet them and talking to them about what I need. After I have several quotes back I'll probably call 2 back for a longer chat . . .

But the background info to be gained on here is very useful to help keep them 'honest' :D

JimJam

I live in Somerset and have just completed installing CH system. (Well I did all the water pipe work and a Corgi guy did the boiler n gas).

Like you I knew gas was out in the road but not supplied here.

It may NOT be Transco that supply the gas to your place, Wales and West Utilities are the only suppliers in South Somerset. Go to any of the energy sites and you can search to see who your supplier is. They quoted me £500 to lay the gas, including doing all the pipe laying which I would recommed you let them do, its a real pain otherwise.

Next organise with British Gas or SE or any of the gas suppliers you want to go with to install a meter, they should do this for free.

You or your builder will have to install the meter box, which is pretty easy, just need a good 10inch disc cutter and a strong arm. The box is usually supplied as part of the quote.

Then Bobs your Uncle!

Thanks Toptec, it is indeed Wales & West, I've got a quote and am awaiting an install date - £550 is the quote which includes running pipe to the property and install of the meter box (semi-recessed in ground). EDF will be doing the meter later.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back