Existing loft conversion - building regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just a question.
I currently have an attic room which I am about to decorate.
The conversion was done early nineties by the look of the materials and dates on plasterboard etc.
I contacted my local council to see if this work was done under building control, which it wasn't (as suspected as it never came up whilst trying to buy the house a few years ago)
I then asked whether it could be checked and signed off and they were very, very shady, and would only consult with me after a site visit and substantial fees paid. Fair enough, but I don't really want to pay to find out that it is substantial work to bring it up to standards. I basically got naff all from them, which is not at all helpful.
I know that it would not meet standards now. The staircase is greater than 42 degrees, treads are less than required, insulation is not to spec etc.
Basically what I am after, is whether BC would inspect to the very latest standards, i.e. it would be just as easy to strip the loft out and start again? Or are there 'loopholes'?
I guess if it can be done fairly cheaply, I would just do the work/pay someone and pay the fees, otherwise I will just decorate what is there and carry on.
Any info, help would be greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
You've prodded the beast and it wont rest until you get back with a satisfactory what next.

For my money, no matter what you do now, you've opened the box and only BCO and her application of the Regs can close it.

All "attic rooms" would be red flagged for proof of certification on a mortgage survey.

You've been around this web site since 2012, surely you would have seen many similar posts?
FWIW: why not try the Planning & Regs forum on here?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back