Existing Multi Fuel Stove and Certificate of Compliance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We had our stove fitted by a builder on the cheap recently but he did not provide any Certificate of Compliance. i have tried to get back in touch with him but his number has been disconnected.

Any way I was wondering where I stand with regards to compliance?

- Can I contact the Local Authorities and get them to come and check the work and provide a Certificate of Compliance?

- Could a HETA's engineer come and check the work and then provide a Certificate of Compliance?

- Or do I have to have the fire completely refitted?

Also the builder did not install the liner and used the existing chimney.
AS far as I can tell (through a little research) he has done the job correctly. He has fitted a Register plate and sealed the flue pipe top and bottom.

Any advice would be appriciated.

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome thisDecade :D :D :D
as you know its wrongly installed as in no liner i
suspect it will be a rip out and start again job :cry: :cry:

Your best bet is to contact a registered independent HETAS installer;
http://www.hetas.co.uk/public/certificates.html
LABC will only inspect, charge you for the privilege & will only tell you what you need to put right. Get a HETAS installer to survey/test the installation but be prepared for the worse, you may well have to get it re-installed but he will tell you what you need to do & how much it will cost. There are also several Building Regulations the installation must comply with so there may also be other problems that need sorting. Your cheap instal may not be so cheap after all :cry:

You should get it sorted ASAP though; no compliance certificate could invalidate your house insurance in the event of a problem & more importantly your safety is paramount. Some light reading for you;
http://www.solidfuel.co.uk/main_pages/news.htm
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...wood-burning-stove-leaks-carbon-monoxide.html
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/warning_over_heaters_after_norfolk_couple_s_death_1_811099
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ouple-dead-arms-sofa-overcome-coal-fumes.html

A client of mine has just pulled out from the sale of a house, similar position as yours.
The home owner had the stove, liner and all relavant fittings, but no certificate.
This was brought up by my clients surveyor, and I was asked if I could arrange a Hetas installer to check and sign, I know and work with one on a regular basis.
The outcome was, that although he can see every thing seems to be fitted correctly, he would need to see the markings etc of the liner, as there are a lot of cheap liners on Ebay.
He refused to certify it on this basis, saying if there was a house fire related to the stove, the blame would ly with him, also the house insurance would be void.
Neither party were interested in paying for the stove etc to come out and refit, hence no sale.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info.

Is it possible then (potentially) that if a HETAS engineer takes a look and all is above board, they could sign it off and apply for a Certificate of Compliance? (obviously with the cost of their time for the inspection)

I am just trying to think of the least damaging option because we have not long had the chimney breast plastered.
I know now that I should have checked that the original installer was HETAS registered or should have got the council to check their work.

Cheer

Get a HETAS installer to check & test the stove install, he will establish if it’s acceptable & compliant. If all is well, I see no reason why he could not issue you with a certificate of compliance, he doesn’t need to apply for a certificate from the council. But bear in mind that he’s under no obligation to sign off someone else’s installation work; in some trades it’s actually illegal to do this.

Other things you need to check/be aware of;

1. Wood burning and multi-fuel stoves must have a class 1 chimney. Existing chimneys can be used but they must be air tight and the correct diameter for the stove installed. If the flue fails a smoke test or is of incorrect diameter it must be lined using a class 1 904/904 grade stainless steel liner, usually 6” but a 5” liner can be used if it’s a Defra smoke control approved appliance.

2. Constructional & decorative hearths must comply with Building Regulations with regard to size & made from non-combustible material.

3. From October 2010 a battery powered carbon monoxide detector must be fitted into the room where the stove has been installed. The detector must have a sealed long life battery; a standard detector with replaceable batteries cannot be used.

4. The stove must have adequate air supply & this is usually via a suitably sized fixed air vent in the room where the stove is installed. Prior to October 2010, a stove under 5kw did not require a vent but one must now be fitted one if the property was built on or after 1992, regardless of the output of the stove.

5. A permanent notice/data plate must be fixed at an appropriate position giving details of the location of the fireplace, the type and size of the flue and type of heating appliance used; for convenience this is usually located next to the electrical consumer unit.

I am just trying to think of the least damaging option because we have not long had the chimney breast plastered.
There may be more bad news in store for you; Gypsum plaster/plasterboard will not withstand regular exposure to more than 49 degrees, it will crack & fail in a relatively short time; I have measured temperatures into the high 90’s in the wall & chimney breast immediately around a multi-fuel stove. Heatproof render/plaster must be used within 300mm either side & 800mm above the stove. Here’s a couple of links;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183614
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211524

you learn something new every day :D ;)
i though class "1" liners where needed in all wood burner installations

you learn something new every day :D ;)
i though class "1" liners where needed in all wood burner installations
A class 1 flue doesn’t necessarily have to be stainless steel; a chimney built with clay flue liners will be class 1 &, in theory, will be suitable without lining if in good condition.

I had one installed in a new property back in a 1986 when chimneys & open fires started to become fashionable again. The problem is that if installed for an open fire, they can be up to 300mm in diameter which will be too large for modern high efficiency wood & multi-fuel stoves; most end up being lined with an insulated, 150mm class 1 904/904 stainless steel liner. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back