Existing old telephone cable, from where I can change it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We have an old victorian property whereby the telephone exchange line comes across from the street hooks onto the building just under the eaves and then follows the brickline down the wall, over the bay window canopy and then enters the house through a hole drilled into the wooden door support.

The cable over the canopy is old and have been painted a number or times to match the woodwork colour of the porch, but its functioning

It comes into the house to a small box, maybe 7cm by 4 cm held with a single screw. At this point it then becomes what I think is normal telephone extension cable but goes into the wall, then appears lter in the hallway, under floor boards etc and is bent around lots of sharp corners, get trapped in doors and will shortly break.

What are my options?

Can I just buy new telephone cable and change at the small white box (described above) as it enters the house?

Something in my head says I need to find the 'master socket' but I have no idea if this is in existence anymore and BT would not come out to find it surely....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
At the small box fit your own NTE, disconnect all existing extension wiring, and run new extension wiring from the NTE. Not perfectly legal but ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back