How easy to move telephone cable?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My telephone cables comes into our boxroom (soon to be bathroom), runs along the top of the picture rail (soon to be removed) then disappears into the door frame, to run out and down into the hallway.

I was thinking that maybe I could run it through the loft instead, but not sure if it will be possible to remove that cable from the wall. Is this a call BT job?

where it comes into the house:

IMG_20190905_201228814.jpg

Sponsored Links
Strictly speaking, a job for BT, but BT OPENreach would be unlikely to crawl about in your loft to reinstall it.

The BT engineer might be willing to co-operate with you, if you did the crawling about in the loft to run the cable and offer him tea and biccies, but BT will charge you.

Strictly speaking illegal, but who would know/ who would complain if you did it, providing you did a decent job?

Can that incoming line on the left, be pulled back through the wall?
Will it be long enough to take it up into your loft to allow a joint?

If you can get some phone cable plus a modern Master Socket and fix the MS where you want it, run the cable up into the loft and to where you going to make the joint. You can reuse that joint box in the photo.

A modern MS has a built in broadband filter.

Alternatively, you could intall the MS directly on the end of the incoming cable from (I assume) pole, have the router + wifi access point (if you have one) in the loft, then run from the MS to multiple extension sockets, as I have done.

In the loft, my router manages to provide wifi access right to the back of my garden and much of the house, though I have a second access point, linked to the first by LAN, on the ground floor.

Don't what ever you do, disturb the tensioned pole to house wire!

Last edited:
There should be enough length to get into the loft, if I can get the wire out. Might have to call Open Reach though, not something I can risk going wrong with a family that relies on the internet!

Sponsored Links
oooh, now you are convincing me!
what sort of cable do I need to buy?

Is it an external line cable? Can you trace it outside? Does it actually come off the pole or is it extension wiring?

If it's extension wiring, there shouldn't be an issue moving it. Do you have an NTE5 master socket or equivalent?

upload_2019-9-6_12-33-51.png

Some pics will help:

Inside that junction box, the cable where it goes outside etc...

Where does the other cable (leaving the JB) go to?

Will post pics when I get home.

oooh, now you are convincing me!
what sort of cable do I need to buy?

Telephone cable! Measure it up, then wait until you spot a BT van and exchange what length you need for beer tokens, or buy a roll from an electrical wholesaler, look on Ebay. You will find the MS on Ebay too, but if you are thinking of installing extension sockets, get an IDC tool from Ebay too, you will need one.

Cable here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20m-BT-T...029836?hash=item2c60689d8c:g:-4gAAOSwrnRaXQV9

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've just had a thought...

Nothing to do with telecomms wiring.

If your soon-to-be bathroom window is opposite your neighbour's front door, is it possible that that window position was once the front door?

This would explain the JB position, as many a house of that vintage have the dropwire entering the house in the hall.

I've just had a thought...

Nothing to do with telecomms wiring.

If your soon-to-be bathroom window is opposite your neighbour's front door, is it possible that that window position was once the front door?

This would explain the JB position, as many a house of that vintage have the dropwire entering the house in the hall.

No, the front doors are all on the left sides of the bungalows on the row. It's just the side of the house the telegraph pole is on I guess.
house.png

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back