How easy to move telephone cable?

Sponsored Links
Copper clad steel conductors! The devil's own work!! :evil::sick: :p

Make sure it's CW1308 cable for internal use, or for external use, CW1308B or CW1128.
(all those above are solid, pure copper conductors, not coated steel)

I agree, I failed to spot the CCS (copper coated steel).

you could install the MS directly on the end of the incoming cable

I've just noticed, the incoming cable in the first photo is a flat cable (shotgun/figure 8), which means it's a much older DropWire, either 1, 2, 6 or 8, which all have larger conductors. So, not suitable for 24AWG IDC termination. The junction box must be a 'screw terminal to IDC' box (probably BT80A), which you will need to re-use Jon.

Also, I take it it's just painted and not actually a white cable, outside is black of course?

Sponsored Links
IMG_20190907_124810471.jpg
IMG_20190907_124104805.jpg
IMG_20190907_124037272.jpg
IMG_20190907_113138004_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190907_113040691_HDR.jpg

Oh, plenty of spare wire there on the outside. I would be looking to bring that dropwire in at the apex, just below the bracket if you possibly can.

To minimise disruption, see if you can find a route out of the loft, at the apex - try to poke a rigid piece of wire through like a straightened out wire coat hanger, from the inside to the outside. You might be able to see some daylight to aim for?

Then run your new cable up into the loft, from your intended socket position, fix your socket and connect it. Your final step, is to cut the dropwire and pull it through, taped firmly onto the end of your coat hanger, re-using the original BT80B joint box for the joint in the loft.

Be aware that those early, non twisted pair dropwires don't have a colour code. They only have the black sheath.

To tell which conductor is which, one of them, you should be able to feel a tiny ridge running the entire length of the cable, it won't be as pronounced as this though...

Dropwire2.jpg

You make it sound so easy!

You make it sound so easy!

Only because it really is that easy.. The finished job will be much more convenient and much tidier than what you have.

Mine comes from the pole and the dropwire used to arrive at the house corner, which is furthest from the pole, it then went down the wall and enter the hall via the side of the front door. The mortar is quite soft, so the drop down the wall often flapped about and every few years, a fault would develop somewhere on the incomer.

When the place was refurbished and replastered and pointed, I decided to do things properly - Phone sockets everywhere where one might be needed, the dropwire moved so it was not so far from the pole and the incomer straight into the loft, with a master socket up there. I gave the BT guy a hand to move the drop wire, as he had needed to replace the dropwire again.

The main run from the MS runs down through the airing cupboard, to a position under the first floor and from a joint box there, it stars out to around 8 sockets. This was pre-wireless phone days, so most of the sockets are now redundant. I use one in my uppers office for the wireless phone base, a further three phones scatted around the place and another in the kitchen for a normal line powered phone - with the ringer turned off.

I have the latter plugged in to a hidden socket behind a kitchen drawer unit, with the phone in the top drawer. Idea is it doesn't ring on the the nuisance calls and the wireless phone set will block the calls, yet the phone is there for emergencies, should we loose power.

OK, so the wires into the box,. that's just 2 simple wires? Then after the box, it's the multi coloured ones? Just looks a lot more little wires in the box that in the picture?
Wondering is the easiest way would be to cut the wire that comes into the house, then try to remove from the fascia, push through eaves into loft at front, then reconnect to the box in loft above the telephone point, and run a new cable down to the telephone.

Just worried I mess up and leave us with not telephone or internet until BT come out and fix it!

OK, so the wires into the box,. that's just 2 simple wires? Then after the box, it's the multi coloured ones? Just looks a lot more little wires in the box that in the picture?

It looks much more complicated than it actually is, take the cover off that joint box and have a look inside. There are two wires in, but a 6 core/ 3 pairs coming out. The engineer used what they normally use for indoor wiring, 3 pair. Depending how the engineer did it, he might have ignored 4 of the coloured wires, or maybe used three to each terminal. The pairs are green/white +white green; blue/white + white/blue; orange/white + white/orange.

It is identified a - Main colour/blob of colour.

All you actually need is two wires from your dropwire from the pole, to your master socket, where ever you intend to install that..

If you intend to install additional extension sockets, then you will need 6 core/three pair wire from the MS to the extension(s).

thanks, I think i understand that now!

Guessing the easiest option would be to put this box in the loft somewhere, or attached to outside with a weatherproof case, then have a new coloured cable going to the telephone socket?

Guessing the easiest option would be to put this box in the loft somewhere, or attached to outside with a weatherproof case, then have a new coloured cable going to the telephone socket?

A joint inside, in the dry and out of the weather is a much better option than one outside. If you were to cut that wire you have, where it goes through the side of the window - you could unclip the rest from your facia, leaving you plenty of loose end to get almost anywhere inside your loft. Your priority is to start the operation by finding a way through from your gutter facia, into your loft space.

Thanks. Shouldn't be too hard ... probably will involve getting very dusty and dirty!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back