Existing oven is hard wired, new one comes with plug,

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I just wanted to check, we have an existing single built under oven which is hard wired on a fused switch. I am looking to replace it with another build under single oven. The the ovens I have seen come with a 13amp plug already on it.

Is it ok to re use the existing wiring and hard wire the new oven in exactly as the current one is set up?

Thanks

Jon

Sponsored Links
Yes there is no problem with cutting a moulded plug off and hard wiring (contrary to what some may say) Just make sure that the fuse in the FCU is of the correct rating.

Sponsored Links
Behind your existing oven there should be a connection plate.

<<<<Turn off power>>>> and change this plate for a single gang socket, plug your new oven in, job done.

Its a rental property we are in for the next 6 months, and the existing oven is sh!t so want to just do a simple swap out and then return it as it is now when we leave!

Really hoped it was a simple as unscrewing the terminals on back of existing oven and connecting existing cable to new oven!

Its a rental property we are in for the next 6 months, and the existing oven is **** so want to just do a simple swap out and then return it as it is now when we leave!

Really hoped it was a simple as unscrewing the terminals on back of existing oven and connecting existing cable to new oven!

Instead it's as simple as doing that at the wall instead of the oven.

What's the problem?

Don't replace/remove the actual oven cable, just cut plug off and do as described above.

I'll have a look tonight but i think the current oven and ceramic hob are both wired into the same Fused switch - does that matter?

It wdoubt that its a fused switch. The hob will take more than 13A on its own.
I'm assuming its an electric hob?

Its a rental property ...
And what does your tenancy agreement say about such modifications ?

I'd be ****ing livid if one of my tenants started interfering with the fixed wiring and appliances without permission. Look at it from my POV, something comes up later and a tenant's been fiddling with <something> - but I can't prove that it was a tenant that did it. So potentially I am in trouble for something I failed to spot a tenant doing.
As it happens, I've got an issue right now - the last tenants (who I had to ask to leave) have removed the door closers which I suspect are a requirement to meet fire regs. This is something fairly obvious (though not to the agent who is supposed to have done an inspection), but had I failed to spot it, would it be me or the person who did it that gets the grief ?

Now, back to your issue. First thing is to see what the MIs (Manufacturer's Instructions) say about supplies and fusing. If the MIs say that it can be hard wired to a 32A supply then you can just wire it in. If the MIs say it needs a 13A fuse in the plug or connection unit then it would be unsafe (fire risk) to cut the plug off and hard wire it into the connection plate (with 30A fuse or 32A breaker).
Mind you, most builders (or the kitchen fitters they employ) will happily wire a hob that specifically says "must have 3A fuse" into the connection plate supplied by a 32A breaker :rolleyes:

While it's not ideal, and space may be an issue, if you need the 13A fuse then you could wire a single socket (or FCU) in a surface box to the connection plate. It'll be hidden behind the oven (not ideal), but IMO better than ignoring the requirement for the supply to be properly fused.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back