Existing single storey extension to double storey

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Complete novice/diy'er here, so apologies in advance for any stupid questions.
Current house has a small single story extension which was built to lengthen the kitchen.
It has a slopped roof. see first picture below.
I'd like to build on top of this as per second picture below. This would expand the bathroom and tiny box room. However, not sure if this is feasible due to the roofline. Any advice as per building regs or solutions or examples would be greatly appreciated!
upload_2020-9-2_6-42-43.png
upload_2020-9-2_6-45-40.png

Worth noting that my plan is to contact a professional to draw up plans and put in the paperwork but wanted to get some feedback first as to whether this is possible.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I now realise how bad my drawings are.:(
Literally just an add on to the side, like a lean to.
Nothing to the front

This is kind of what I have now... basically a lengthening of the kitchen, but is it possible to build on top of it to lengthen the upstairs room too? Or would the roof line mean its not possible.
upload_2020-9-2_9-28-28.png

I think we'd need to know the real circumstances at play here, but theoretically, anything's possible.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you could build on top of it providing you have suitable fundations.
A second storey would need planning permission but should be pretty straight forward.
If you have a standard construction and suitable fundations, you just need to remove the roof, fit what they would be upstairs floor joists and then build up.
Finish off with a flat lid below the existing fascia

Providing you’re clever with the roof design, then from that perspective, it’ll be fine. However, you’re more important issue and Planning sticking point is the impact of the first floor extension to your attached neighbour. That is assuming you are in a terrace/semi similar to that photo?

Draw another little triangle on the extension, like looking sideways at a Toblerone, et voilà.

+--------------------+ (* ) (* )
| T O B L E R O N E |
+--------------------+

Like this?

upload_2020-9-2_14-57-9.png
upload_2020-9-2_14-56-25.png

Just to clarify, these are my before/after pictures.
The house is detached so won't be any issue with touching neighbour's boundry.
The only thing that worried me was having a flat roof on the extension. Looking out side now, I can see lots of flat roofs/ground floor extensions with pooling water.

Attachments

• upload_2020-9-2_14-54-5.png
    upload_2020-9-2_14-54-5.png
    305.7 KB · Views: 236
The house is detached so won't be any issue with touching neighbour's boundry.

I was referring more to the potential loss of outlook, privacy and daylight to their first floor rear window that I assume serves a Bedroom?

Flat roofs built correctly don't cause any trouble and last a long, long time.

I was referring more to the potential loss of outlook, privacy and daylight to their first floor rear window that I assume serves a Bedroom?

Understood. I don't think it will be an issue in this particular case, thankfully, as its the side of the house with no windows. The windows are at the front and back of the house, for both houses. There is also a decent amount of clearance left, you can actually walk around the extension to get around the back and the neighbor has quite a wide side access.

Good shout though.

Planners tend not to approve flat roofs on two storey extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back