Expanding Foam Not Sticking.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a bit of foam applying to do . I bought a decent gun on ebay, and wish i had done that years ago as it certainly makes things easier... However i am having trouble getting the foam to stick to concrete walls , some bits are fine but half of it just seems to slip off .

I have tried wetting the area first and there was some improvement but didnt work fully.

I am using Soudall foam that i bought with the gun.. its all within date and good condition.

Are there any tips for applying to vertical smooth surfaces ?

Much Appreciated

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the quick response ajstoneservices ... possibly i guess. but only doing a thin bead and moving down the wall... i guess the same as if you was applying caulking or glue.. going to try again tomorrow.. might apply some pva first as that usually helps with getting other stuff to stick.

Sponsored Links
Some foams are described as "sticky" or "adhesive", and others aren't.
I don't have much personal experience with the different sorts, but you might like to check if there is something more suitable you could try.

You need to either do very thin layers and wait for it to cure, or provide some support. For that you could screw some mesh to the wall and apply it to that.
Photos might help of the gap you're filling.

What is "foam applying"?

Expanding foam is a gap filler more than anything, not for insulating surfaces.

You may need a quick setting and low expansion product instead

Try going from the bottom up, gravity won't be try to pull it out.

Thanks All .. Tried again today using the advice from ajstoneservices , i went slower and zig-zagged . I also used a pva water solution and it worked like a charm.

Thanks Woody , i was using to fill a gap , albeit a fairly shallow one

The gun definitely makes things easier and cleaner .. a few years back i was doing a temporary fix using the conventional cans at arms length under some fitted cupboards to fill gaps between the floor and wall . The space was so tight i removed my shirt .. and ended up getting foam on my chest hairs and a nipple ... bloody painful lesson that one !!

a few years back i was doing a temporary fix using the conventional cans at arms length under some fitted cupboards to fill gaps between the floor and wall . The space was so tight i removed my shirt .. and ended up getting foam on my chest hairs and a nipple ... bloody painful lesson that one !!

Haha yes, it's the stuff of the devil but at the same time one of the most useful things. I always fear attaching a new can since removing a busted one a while back and the contents then deciding to leave the can, all over me, the gun and (fortunately) the corner of the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back