Expanding Foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should foam be used to fill gaps between top of windows and the open space greater than 10mm?
I have had my double glazing replaced and they've just sealed on outside (not very well as you can see daylight(long story about architrave)) and architraved inside and sealed on the outside.
This method is not only still draughty, and cold, but is noisy.
Take a look here to see what I mean

http://www.ntlworld.photobox.co.uk/album/2542457

Sponsored Links
perfectly acceptable to use it these days, but it should have been done properly and should fill the gaps.

(i still hate the stuff though)

Hi,

I would be tempted to get in touch with the people who installed your windows as I would have thought they should have been responsible for doing a 'proper job' :confused:

Failing that, be careful with expanding foam (if you haven't used it before). I have heard of cases where it can distort and even dislodge windows, doors, etc - it's pretty powerful stuff :eek:

Thanks.
I'm in dispute as its the second time I've asked them to fill it with foam.
I'm not touching it.
as you can see from the photos there are many other flaws.
They are saying I'm being too picky.
Am I expecting too much for them to have filled a 25mm height void with foam?

Sponsored Links
Gary_M said:
Failing that, be careful with expanding foam (if you haven't used it before). I have heard of cases where it can distort and even dislodge windows, doors, etc - it's pretty powerful stuff :eek:
The other thing is it doesn't work at low (sub 5 degrees) temperatures.....

timbalcombe - that looks like a really shoddy job. Using foam is the norm, however it's not supposed to be is used as a "bodge" to cover-up poor work.

Scrit

Thanks Mr scrit.
It is a bleeding mess.
It states in their terms and conditions they will correct any damage to plaster. They came last thursday after I had their service manager out.
I showed the guys the plaster damage and the huge gaps, they just shrugged.
They said that when they put the new window board in it will hold the plaster in place!. They didn't remove the old board just replaced a new board wih a nose over the top.
I didn't mention that they should repair the plaster as they were supposed to be the best men for the job.
I spoke to the service manager the next day, quoted the t&c's about plaster, and said I was not a supervisor they should do the work in accordance to their conditions.
He wants to get the directors involved. I think this is good, as we can expose them as the cowboys they are.
I am thinking about getting in an independant bloke to come round.
Judging from those pictures do you think I have good grounds for complaint?
Many thanks for replies. I'm well dissapointed with this work.
They are a member of the federation of master builders, I spose I could report them to them?
We have withheld final payment.
They've had 2K already though. it was for 5 windows and a door.

timbalcombe said:
They are a member of the federation of master builders, I spose I could report them to them?

and what will they do?

from the website of FMB anyone can join (providing you pay) they seem to be a "pay us money and then use ur logo" set up

taken from the FMB website

Complete a brief online form, which is then passed on to a Membership Advisor in your area. They will then contact you to explain the benefits of membership, and guide you through the application process.

Once you have been accepted you'll be able to use the Federation logo on all your business literature and vehicles, plus you'll benefit from all of the services listed in these pages and many more besides. And as many successful small and medium sized builders will tell you, FMB membership represents fantastic value.

I have highlighted certain words, it all points to helping the member, no one else

FMB are not agoverning body, you dont have to join, so like i said, what will they do for you?

To me, membership advisor = sales person

it does not say they will check applicants quality of workmanship

FMB website

No, but it does say they will take up matters regarding workmanship, and they take it very seriously.
This is from their disputes site:

"The FMB sets high standards that builders must meet in order to become members, we therefore take any complaint against a member very seriously. All complaints are investigated fully and in the vast majority of cases, they are simply resolved through the intervention of the FMB. However, where that is not possible, the FMB will help with independent dispute resolution.

The FMB complaints procedure has teeth. If members don't meet our standards they can be removed from the FMB register.
"

maybe worth a go?
Who is the governing body, As far as I can tell they are a law to themselves with workmanship.
I can only think that trading standards and my local building office might help.
I am quite serious in taking this up if I cannot get them to fit these windows properly.
Would you agree that the work looks shoddy?

Regards,

Hi again,

Yeah, I would say that the workmanship is very shoddy and you definitely have grounds to complain. I am guessing that you have already paid them?

I know this is not the 'best way forward' but if you are getting no-where with them, it often helps to let them know that you will be informing the newspapers about them. Oh, and don't forget to contact Trading Standards - they are an excellent source of free advice.

Could I suggest that you don't do ANYTHING to try to make it look better at the moment - any work you do may give them a reason to back out of any responsibilities.

Also, keep the pressure on - many companies rely on the customer deciding its not worth the hassle chasing things up. Hound them and eventually they will want to 'get rid if you' and do the work (unless you have any canals nearby :LOL: )

Good luck, it must be very frustrating for you at the moment :confused:

Thanks, I appreciate that, Love the canals comment! :LOL:
It is frustrating.

So to cut a long story short, foam IS the norm for gaps that size?

Thanks to all.

UPDATE:

They are willing to come back and repair the plaster.
They are still saying they won't put foam in as it will dislodge the windows.

I am thinking that the windows are not the right size which is why the gaps are there.
They "fit" to look at on the outside, but have covered the gaps inside with architrave.
I would've thought that when they took the old wooden frames out they would plaster or render on the inside thus filling in the voids.
Am I right in thinking I've been had here as the have used architrave and no foam?

The window frames are draughty because of this. A strip of sealant inside and out, stuck to the architrave is hardly going to stop air and heat getting in/out.

The product itself is good. Its the elite 70 range from Spectus.

Thanks for any replies

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back