Expansion tank - Looks like I've got a problem. Please Help

hello, Elephant. There is a risk your prob might have a different cause (boiling, did you say?) so better to start a new post. On here they frown on adding a second query to an existing post.

P.s. And it's not "exactly the same"

Elephant_Guy said:
Boiling water discharging into the expansion tank creating lots of steam and condensation in attic but no water coming out of the overflow pipe.

Sponsored Links
Hi
Sounds like Elephant_Guy has the same or similar problem to me actually, my system isn't running out the overflow either.
I only said the hot water was running out the expansion pipe but the water must be recirculating.
Sorry if I confused anyone here.

Think I'm going to have to turn my pump speed back up as I'm not warm enough.

Any more ideas on what might be causing the pump-over seeing as my system is correctly plumbed?

If Elephant_Guy reads this. have you sorted yours yet?

Thanks

No joy as yet banana's

In fact things have got even worse for me :confused:
Expansion tank has developed a leak !!!!
Think the hot water must have been venting for some time and rusted through the old tank !!
Im going to have to get the expansion tank replaced tomorrow. Had to drain it by hand off tonight.
Your heating was getting colder when you turned the pump down.....I've had to turn it off altogether after draining the expansion tank. It's going to be a cold night for me.... I'd better break out the extra duvet !! :eek:

Obviously the replacement expansion tank is only going to be a short term fix as the minute I put the heating back on after replacing it, the venting will continue.....

I'm at a loss..... Any professionals out there got any bright ideas ?

Sponsored Links
Elephant......

Are you changing the tank yourself?

If you're having a heating plumber in you might get a professional opinion you can share with me on the pump over problem.

Elephant_Guy said:
No joy as yet banana's

Im going to have to get the expansion tank replaced tomorrow. Had to drain it by hand off tonight.

Was the old one galvanised then? Must be a really old installation.

After your've got your new F&E tank, I'll be interested to know if it feeds water down to the syst. Usually, unless the feed pipe is blocked, any expansion goes up the 15mm pipe, as it's lower.

Bananas said:
Just seen too that the boiler dial is on maximum
Herein lies a clue. Have you tried simply turning it down?

It's possible that steam from the vent is caused by the boiler boiling (hot spots, not the whole thing turning into a cauldron).

Heating been running for a few hours now with the pump on 2. Sure there is less water from expansion pipe but the house is colder too.

Are you sure this is the reason? It's cold outside. The pump speed does not make a huge difference to room temperature if the boiler is man enough and you are thermostatically controlled (hard hat on...)

Suggest you try the cleaning treatment and turn it down a bit. Worked for me.

wow, im having a remarkably similar problem, constant hot water running from the vent pipe into the extension tank. wheres it all going, thats what im wondering?! A friend thought it might be a pressure problem, so drained some nasty brown/black water off the bottom of one of the radiators, that seemed to stop the flow in the attic problem. BUT im not sure i recomend you try because now when the boiler tries to fire, it fires up but it clangs and clicks very loudly then shuts down again. have you had any luck?

Hi

I had this problem a couple of years ago. My system is probably different to yours as my vent is branched out from the top end of the coil in the HW cylinder with the feed pipe feeding into the bottom end of the coil.

What seems to happen is that the pressure difference or head needed to drive the water through the radiators etc is greater than the difference in between the water level in the tank and the highest point on the vent pipe so it takes the easier route. In my case because of the position of the tank this head difference was only about 6 inches.

Anyway I cut the vent pipe just below the bend over and inserted a bit of pipe. I could only raise the vent pipe a couple of inches due to the roof but the problem stopped. I can't say for sure whether it was what I did or whether something else happened elswhere on its own.

This might help your case in the short term if you can raise the bend over.
You may also need to lengthen the end of the pipe to avoid excessive splashing into the tank but hopefully the flow will stop. It is a short-term fix only as you need to address the problem that is causing restriction to the flow through your radiators.

Best of luck.

PaulAH said:
Bananas said:
Just seen too that the boiler dial is on maximum
Herein lies a clue. Have you tried simply turning it down?

It's possible that steam from the vent is caused by the boiler boiling (hot spots, not the whole thing turning into a cauldron).

Sounded a good idea.

I turned the boiler off this morning and with a cold system I am still getting pump over.

jobloggs said:
What seems to happen is that the pressure difference or head needed to drive the water through the radiators etc is greater
than the difference in between the water level in the tank and the highest point on the vent pipe so it takes the easier route. In my case because of the position of the tank this head difference was only about 6 inches.

My expansion pipe rises about 7 feet above the main pipework and pump, I'd have thought this was sufficient head compared to your problem.

Thanks for all input so far.

It is the difference in level between the vent pipe BENDOVER and the water in the feeder tank that counts. Mine was two floors above the pump.

Aaarg! This is a standard problem and has a standard solution. I'm referring to the ORIGINAL problem - all you others go away and start your own threads, though the solution is probably similar you're confusing the issue.

Situation is Boiler > VENT pipe > FEED pipe > PUMP > valves .
Stop using the phrase "expansion pipe" it means nothing. The expanding water goes up both the vent and feed pipes, mostly up the feed pipe, the level in the f/e tank and the vent pipe will be the same.

You have a blockage in the pipes where the feed pipe meets the system. It's probably HARD one which will not dissolve easily. You will either have to drain then cut out the pipes in the "T" area, or get jiggy with a coat hanger/curtain wire/electrician's springy rod to work what you can out of the pipes. Sometimes you can get access up the pipe which goes to the pump, but don't expect the pump valves to seal and not leak - buy new ones they're cheap, Pegler's are ok(Screwfix).

Obviously that's messy so as a first try, get a water-capable vac. They're in the sheds for under £40. Turn the heating off and let it cool. Suck at the VENT pipe over the f/e tank (make a seal with a plastic bag wrapped round). This will take water down the feed pipe and across the blockage, up the vent pipe - sometimes it works immediately, taking bits of hard and soft goo out of the system.
Pass the vac to her below, or carry it down the loft ladder which is tricky sometimes, especially if the whole thing is full of water at 80º.

I'll go and get a wet vac and try that.

If it doesn't work can I cut the section of flow pipe out with the vent and feed joints and replace with pushfit (I can't solder) so there is new vent and feed joints?

Thanks

Hi,

Been out and at great expense (£30) bought a B&Q own brand wet & dry vac as suggested.

Will couple it to the vent tomorrow and see what crud it can swallow.

One thing though before I start chopping my pipework about if this doesn't work.

I have said the vent runneth over fast or slow depending on pump speed.

I am not losing this out of the overflow.

I would also say again that this pump over happens with the boiler off too so it's a flow problem rather than an overheating problem.

Does this imply that my cold feed must be free of blockage as this water in the tank has to go somewhere?

I wonder if the (suspected) blockage could be between vent and cold feed thus sending the water up and over the vent and back down so to speak to get past the (aforesaid suspected) blockage.

Is it given that some 22mm plastic barrier pipe and PolyPlumb fittings from B&Q would suffice for a replacement section of flow pipe to include new vent and feed T's?

Thanks all for the advice.

How's the new f&e Elephant_Guy, are you behaving now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back